Update: Wireless 2.0
You may remember my post on the initial testing of the Wireless 2.0 system that is poised to replace the VPN system we currently use. The new Wireless 2.0 system is out of the testing stage and is ready to be used by faculty, students and staff. Currently limited to 8 locations on campus, the new system will let users connect to the internet much more easily than before. The 8 locations are:
- Willard Building (Entire Building and outside area between Schwab and Carnegie Bldgs.)
- Life Sciences Building (Ground Floor-available in six General Purpose Classrooms, #9 through #14 only)
- Telecommunications Building (Entire Building)
- Thomas Building (1st and 2nd Floors, and outside plaza area between Thomas and Ritenour Bldgs.)
- Business Building (Entire Building and adjacent outdoor areas)
- Ag. Science and Industries (General Purpose Classrooms and Portions of the Ground Floor, 1st, 2nd and 4th Floors)
- Food Science Building (Entire Building and Creamery Outdoor Seating area)
- Forest Resources Building (Entire Building and adjacent outdoor areas)
Before attempting to connect to the new system, you’ll have to follow the instructions here to configure your computer or here to configure your iPhone/iPod Touch. The new system has been designed with security and speed in mind and should deliver much better performance than the old VPN system.
2 Responses to “Update: Wireless 2.0”
Weird, I’m using it right now in the Hub.
I have the 64-bit Windows 7(RC) but using the Vista 64-bit installer works fine.
I really hope this does replace the old VPN
[...] wrote an article last May on how to access the trial Wireless 2.0 system. Check it out here. Any computer/device that currently supports the Penn State VPN should work fine with the new [...]
Leave a Reply