Greeks Flex Pipes for Annual Scholarship Event
While most of you were probably watching football, reading about the Jerry Sandusky allegations, sleeping off your hangover or getting work done (yeah, right), members of Penn State’s Greek community were performing in the annual Greek Sing event at Eisenhower Auditorium.
For those of you who don’t know, each organization from Penn State’s Greek Life has to participate by performing their own version of a musical. Not only are their talents (or lack thereof in some cases) displayed, but the event also helps raise money for the Gayle Beyers Scholarship. The scholarship is given each year to “individuals who display the same dedication, bravey, and commitment as Ms. Beyers.” This year’s winners included Carly Littlehale, Andrew Askew, Hannah Bracale, Elizabeth Ferrara, Becca Williams and Lindsay Resnik.
This year, Delta Gamma (DG), Alpha Sigma Phi (Alpha Sig) and Beta Theta Pi (Beta) won overall for the second year in a row, with their performance of “Hairspray.” Check out their performance on YouTube HERE.
The total list of musicals performed today, in order of performance, is as follows:
- “The Wedding Singer” by Pi Kappa Alpha, Kappa Alpha Theta and Sigma Tau Gamma
- “The Rocky Horror Picture Show” by Theta Delta Chi, Phi Mu and Sigma Nu — Watch the performance HERE.
- “Wicked” by Zeta Tau Alpha and Delta Sigma Phi
- “Annie” by Alpha Sigma Alpha and Pi Kappa Phi
- “All Shook Up” by Pi Beta Phi, Delta Tau Delta and Alpha Gamma Rho
- “Beauty and the Beast” by Sigma Delta Tau, Zeta Psi and Pi Lamda Phi
- “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory” by ACACIA, Delta Chi and Kappa Delta
- “Saturday Night Fever” by Alpha Phi and Sigma Alpha Mu
- “Hairspray” by Delta Gamma, Sigma Phi and Beta Theta Pi
- “Elf” by Alpha Omicron Pi and Kappa Delta Rho
- “We Will Rock You” by Alpha Chi Omega and Beta Sigma Beta
- “Movin Out” by Delta Zeta and Tau Kappa Epsilon
- “The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee” by Sigma Sigma Sigma and Phi Kappa
- “American Idiot” by Kappa Kappa Gamma and Sigma Alpha Epsilon
- “Fame” by Sigma Kappa, Alpha Tau Omega and Delta Lambda Phi
- “Jersey Boys” by Alpha Xi Delta, Sigma Pi and Phi Kappa Sigma
- “Mamma Mia!” by Alpha Delta Pi, Phi Kappa Tau and Delta Upsilon
- “Chicago” by Chi Omega, Sigma Phi Epsilon and Kappa Sigma — Watch the performance HERE.
- “Hair” by Gamma Phi Beta and Sigma Chi — Watch the performance HERE.
- In the closing scene of “The Wedding Singer” performance, “Robbie Hart” dropped “Julia” right on her face when she jumped into his arms. The flub was accepted with a standing ovation and a wave of laughter. Hopefully she doesn’t have a shiner tomorrow morning! (I guess that goes for “Robbie” too…)
- Willy Wonka in Acacia, DChi and KD’s performance had a creepy but hysterical laugh that got a rise out of the crowd each time. Also, his purple coat was exceptional.
- A shoe went flying here and there throughout the performances–that’s a Greek Sing tradition.
- KDR and AOPi somehow managed to butcher “Jingle All The Way” by being really out of sync, which was semi-painful to listen to for a minute or two.
- The male lead in “Movin Out” just straight up forgot his lines. I mean really forgot them. “We Didn’t Start The Fire” is quite a doozy lyrically, but that was not the only song he choked on. Yuh-ikes.
- “Fame” seemed too have one too many smooches. Maybe that’s just my personal opinion. Anyway…
- The last segment of “Jersey Boys” included a light show thanks to LED rave gloves, which was super trippy and looked really cool. Probably pumped everyone up for Avicii even more than they already were.
Leave a Reply