President Erickson Holds First Press Conference
President Rodney Erickson will hold his first press conference at the Nittany Lion Inn in just a few minutes. The topic has not yet been announced, but we have heard it is an open discussion. Updates to follow.
Update 4:33 p.m. – This mass email has been sent out by Rodney Erickson to Penn State students and faculty.
Dear Penn State community,
This note is the first of many that you will receive from me as Penn State’s president. I will be sending emails periodically as part of my promise to you to provide meaningful and timely updates.
Today I am outlining my promise to the Penn State community, which includes the naming of an ethics officer and a commitment to transparency as the University moves forward.
Right now, the nation’s eyes are upon us, looking at where we will go from here. Many of you already are representing this University’s high standards for honesty and integrity. It is imperative that every member of our community model the best that Penn State has to offer as we begin to rebuild the confidence and trust that has been shaken this past week.
Please join me in this effort to rebuild our community. Below, you will find my promise to all of you.
President Erickson’s Promise to the Penn State Community
1. I will reinforce to the entire Penn State community the moral imperative of doing the right thing—the first time, every time.
- We will revisit all standards, policies and programs to ensure they meet not only the law, but Penn State’s standard. To oversee this effort, I will appoint an Ethics Officer that will report directly to me.
- I ask for the support of the entire Penn State community to work together to reorient our culture. Never again should anyone at Penn State feel scared to do the right thing. My door will always be open.
2. As I lead by example, I will expect no less of others.
- I will ensure proper governance and oversight exists across the entire University, including Intercollegiate Athletics.
3. Penn State is committed to transparency to the fullest extent possible given the ongoing investigations.
- I commit to providing meaningful and timely updates as frequently as needed.
- I encourage dialogue with students, faculty, alumni, and other members of the Penn State Community.
4. We will be respectful and sensitive to the victims and their families. We will seek appropriate ways to foster healing and raise broader awareness of the issue of sexual abuse.
5. My administration will provide whatever resources, access and information is needed to support the Special Committee’s investigation. I pledge to take immediate action based on their findings.
Leave a Reply