Amendola Speaks Outside Courthouse
A little over an hour after his client, Jerry Sandusky, waived his right to a preliminary hearing, defense attorney Joe Amendola returned to field questions from media members outside the courthouse. He spoke for nearly an hour and was in the spotlight for most of the time following the waived hearing. Below is a compilation of quotes and responses he has provided to this point:
- Amendola began by strongly stating that today’s decision is “not an admission of guilt.”
- The decision to waive the hearing was made late last night; however, Sandusky had the authority to change his mind at anytime through the morning.
- “There was nothing to gain from today.”
- Amendola made it a point to attack Mike McQueary often while fielding questions. “McQueary was the centerpiece of the prosecution.”
- “Today is a very small part in the legal process. It would have been very one-sided.”
- “A probable cause hearing requires a very low threshold of proof from the commonwealth.”
- “The decision to waive the hearing was a very close call.”
- “Today was not the time or the place to present our defense.”
- “There will be no plea deal. This will be a fight to the death.”
- When asked if today’s decision hurts his opportunity to break down testimony from the prosecution, Amendola again stressed that it was a strategic decision after weighing several pros and cons.
- “Jerry has always been a naive guy, even his wife admits that.”
- One of the more poignant statement by Amendola was, “There have been candlelight vigils for victims, when all we have is accusers.”
- “We’re gonna fight like hell for Jerry’s innocence.”