Join Onward State: Info for Spring 2013
Are you interested in joining Onward State’s dynamic team of bloggers, photographers, and editors for a semester of fun and merriment? We have a limited number of openings available on staff for our Spring 2013 editorial cycle.
With opportunities for student writers, photographers, and editors (or any combination of the three), Onward State leads Penn State student media with its community-driven focus on news. We maintain the largest Twitter and Facebook followings in college media and are proud to be the Penn State news outlet that students turn to the most.
With stipends and other opportunities for advancement available, Onward State is a great place to spend your career as a Penn State student journalist. If you’re an experienced student journalist bored with the status quo, this is your chance to pursue exciting opportunities and develop new skills…but experience is not required! We are, quite simply, one big family, and we want you to be a part of it.
The easiest way to start your career with Onward State is as a content contributor or junior photographer. As a new member you will be required to:
- Attend all (or almost all) weekly all-staff editorial meetings. These are held at 7 p.m. every Monday night.
- Attend ALL training sessions led by senior editors, which will occur periodically during the semester before the regularly scheduled meetings.
- Contribute multiple posts per week throughout the Spring semester.
- Be proud of being part of Onward State, both internally and externally.
- Attend staff socials, formals and parties throughout the semester (that’s not so hard, is it?)
Strong preference will be given to applicants who are willing and capable of writing long-form investigative pieces and exhibit a strong knowledge and passion for Penn State. Additionally, photographers are strongly encouraged to apply. After reviewing your application, an editor will contact chosen applicants for a writing sample, resume, and to schedule an in-person interview.
If you have any questions, please send us an email. We look forward to working with you in the future.