The Jerry Sandusky scandal has now cost Penn State over $25 million…and counting.
Another month has passed and more legal bills have piled up at Old Main. Since the scandal began last November, Penn State has spent $25,926,451 on legal and public relations services. That number does not include the $60 million fine levied by the NCAA in July, nor does it include any financial settlements to the victims of the former Penn State defensive coordinator.
Jerry Sandusky is expected to appear at a hearing in Bellefonte tomorrow regarding his post-sentence motions. He was sentenced to 30-60 years in prison in October, but plans to appeal.
Here’s a breakdown of the costs can be found below:
- Board of Trustees – Internal Investigation and Crisis Communications: $12,713,964
- University Legal Services/Defense: $7,005,036
- Externally Initiated Investigations: $956,449
- Indemnified Persons’ Legal Defense: (Schultz, Curley, Spanier): $3,678,600
- Other Institutional Expenses: $1,572,402