Ever been asked by someone how many people go to Penn State and you just say, “um, like, 40,000, I think”?
Of course you have! No fear, Penn State’s Office of Strategic Communications has provided a more specific answer to that and the other questions you may have been asked during every awkward family gathering. On stats.psu.edu, you can find a bevy of basic Penn State statistics from 2009-13 such as enrollment (there are 46,184 students at University Park, for the record) and fundraising. Penn State At A Glance, as the site is called, also serves as a goldmine of bragging rights — Penn State’s many high academic rankings and athletic successes are all there in one place.
Here are five eye-catchers from the site. Keep in mind that these numbers are from 2013:
- Penn State’s total enrollment, from all 24 campuses: 98,097. That’s a 4 percent increase from 2009, when the enrollment was 94,301.
- The value of Penn State’s endowment is $2.03 billion, a whopping 59 percent increase from the $1.28 billion mark of 2009.
- Alumni were responsible for $87.6 million of the $237.8 million in funds raised by Penn State in 2013.
- Penn State has about 582,000 living addressable alumni, 326,000 of whom live in Pennsylvania.
- Penn State graduates 88 percent of its athletes, compared to the NCAA’s Division I mean rate of 80 percent.