Schools across the country are using negative recruiting tactics that “insinuate that NCAA enforcement is looking at us [Penn State] and considering additional sanctions,” Athletic Director Sandy Barbour said according to Scout.com.
Barbour held a Q&A session in her office on Wednesday where she addressed rival schools’ tactics that are often unfair and not founded in the truth.
“For someone, anyone, to try to plant in the mind of a 17-year-old that you don’t want to go to Penn State because they’re gonna get hit with the death penalty or there are gonna be more sanctions is not only untrue, but disingenuous and I feel a real slap in the face to this profession,” she told Scout.com.
Last month, James Franklin provided a glimpse of this to the Reading Eagle: “I spend all Friday and Saturday [when recent allegations that Joe Paterno knew about Sandusky’s abuse in the 1970s broke] on the phone talking to all of our players because other schools are contacting them and telling them the NCAA is going to get involved again and impose more sanctions,“ he said. Although he didn’t name exact schools engaging in the dirty recruiting, he listed four competing programs where dirty recruiting is “not something they have to deal with”: Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, and Notre Dame.
Barbour addressed Franklin’s statement in her Q&A with Scout.com, saying “other schools are contacting [Penn State targets] and telling them the NCAA is going to get involved and impose more sanctions…To insinuate that NCAA enforcement is looking at us and considering additional sanctions is preposterous. They consider the case closed. There are no more sanctions. Both the Big Ten and the NCAA agreed to end the sanctions — I believe it was 18 months early. There is no more monitor.”