Though tens of thousands of Penn Staters made the trip to Pasadena for today’s Rose Bowl Game, hundreds of thousands more will be watching from home. Whether you’re hitting a Penn State bar for a watch party or are dedicated to an evening on the couch with your dad’s famous chili, we recommend a drink or six.
Forget the fact that it’s a Monday and you might have work tomorrow — it’s the Rose Bowl and the Nittany Lions are ranked No. 5 in the country (for now). Better yet, you’re still on break and looking for a way to enjoy some Penn State football along with some adult beverages. Whatever the case we have just the game for you: Play along with the official Onward State Rose Bowl drinking game and go State, beat the Trojans!
- Crack a beer, smell the roses, and take a sip. Penn State is playing in the Granddaddy of Them All.
- Take a drink if they show a montage of how Penn State got here.
- Every time the announcers point out any similarities between Trace McSorley and USC’s quarterback Sam Darnold, drink.
- If Penn State lines up in a two-quarterback set, take two drinks.
- If anyone brings up the College Football Playoff and Ohio State’s comical 31-0 loss to Clemson, take a drink. If they say Penn State deserved to be there instead, finish your drink.
- “It’s hard to believe that just five years ago….” finish your drink.
- Shotgun a Joe Paterno Legacy Series Beer for any and every mention of our coach.
- If closet-Penn State fan Kirk Herbstreit talks about how incredible the Lions’ season has been or shows his affinity for the Blue and White, give the man a cheers and take a drink.
- If someone points out that this was supposed to be Penn State’s first year of bowl eligibility, take a drink.
- And if the really emphasize the fact that, “and it’s the ROSE BOWL!”, finish your drink.
- Take a drink for any and all of the following: Barkley hurdles a helpless defender, Julius annihilates an unlucky special teams guy, Haley blocks a field goal (finish your drink if he returns it for a TD).
- Speaking of, take a shot for every mention of the blocked field goal against Ohio State and the subsequent upset.
- Take a drink for any footage of the Big Ten Championship victory of Wisconsin that got us here in the first place.
- Sip your drink Kermit-style for every mention of James Franklin’s newfound job security.
- If McSorley launches one to the end zone, finish your beer, pretend to bat the empty can across the room, and salute.
- When Penn State inevitably goes into halftime losing, calmly sip your beverage and whisper “second half team” to yourself for the duration of the break.
- If Penn State wins, drink everything in sight and reflect on an incredible season. That’s the team’s 10th straight victory and 12th victory this season.
- If Penn State loses, drink everything in sight because that’s the end of Penn State football until the Blue & White game, but what a ride it’s been.