Update 1:52 a.m.: Students are now able to re-enter Bigler Hall, according to the Daily Collegian. We’ve always thought the elevators in East were a little sketchy, but we certainly won’t be using them any time soon after this.
Original Story: Alpha Fire Company responded to a call at Bigler Hall in East tonight after an elevator traction motor failed, according to Assistant Fire Chief Rusty Schreiner.
There was no actual fire in the building, but the motor failure created smoke and caused the smoke detectors in the building to go off, dispatching the fire company. The building was evacuated according to standard procedure when smoke alarms began to sound.
Schreiner also said the failure created an oily smell throughout the building. Firefighters continue to work on dissipating the smoke and the oily odor from Bigler Hall. So far, students haven’t yet been permitted back inside the building.
We’ll update this story with additional information as it becomes available.