Jersey Mike’s and State College: A Match Made in Cold Cut Heaven
Before Jersey Shore made Snooki a household name, my hometown’s claim to fame was Jersey Mike’s. The first Jersey Mike’s (which I’ll affectionately call J.Mike’s from this point on) was opened in 1956 in good ol’ Point Pleasant, New Jersey, just a few blocks from my house. Since then, the chain has spread not only throughout the Jersey Shore but nationally, with the newest and most important location obviously being right here in State College.
I grew up on J.Mike’s subs–mostly because it took me about 3 minutes to walk there, but also because they’re really freaking good. We all know what food snobs Jersey people can be, but I can assure you that J.Mike’s will not disappoint here at Penn State. Here’s why you should be excited about their Grand Opening tomorrow:
- They’re giving away free subs! Kinda. If you bring in a fundraising coupon and donate at least $1 to The Four Diamonds Fund, you’ll get a free “regular” sub. (“Regular” being a typical 6-7 inch sub)
- They call their sandwiches “subs”. As they should. None of this hoagie or grinder business. Unless we’re talking about Wawa hoagies, but that’s a whole other discussion.
- They know how to make a true Italian sub. These are hard to come by in central Pennsylvania. Embrace it.
- If you’re trying to go lo-carb, or just don’t like bread, they offer wrap options and a “Sub in a Tub” which is the sub without the bread. (Think Chipotle’s “Burrito Bowl” but for a sub)
- And if you are into the bread scene you won’t be disappointed. The bread is what makes J.Mike’s subs are so amazing.
- They have chipotle mayo. ‘Nuff said.
- My personal favorite is a #3, called “Jersey Shore’s Favorite”, and includes Provolone, ham and cappacuolo.
- The “Original Italian” is always a winner (as mentioned before).
- The “Famous Roast Beef and Provolone”
- Surprisingly, the Tuna Fish is usually awesome, but this could easily not ring true here, depending on how they make it–the mayo to tuna ratio could go horribly wrong–so I would investigate that situation before you dive right into the tuna.
- Vegetarians, I’m gonna be honest, their “Veggie” sub really isn’t that impressive, so I would suggest you just craft your own combo. They never used to give me a hard time when I would do it. But then again, why would I be eating at J.Mike’s if I were a vegetarian? Alas..
- Most importantly, order it “Mike’s Way”, with with onions, lettuce, tomatoes, vinegar, oil and spices.
Your ad blocker is on.
Please choose an option below.
Purchase a Subscription!
About the Author
News & Notes From James Franklin’s Opening Summer Press Conference
Franklin spoke to the media for a half hour on Thursday about upcoming summer workouts.
‘We Have Competition At Every Single Position’: Penn State Quarterback Question Still Unanswered
With the clock ticking down until the start of Penn State football’s season, James Franklin has yet to name his starting quarterback.
Give Us Someone To Root Against: An Open Letter To The Big Ten
“It’s a lack of honor, a misplacement of regard, and a shortcoming of courtesy.”