We Are, Not Straight: 2013 Pride Week Schedule
The start of Pride Week, a week-long event dedicated to creating visibility and educating the general public about the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and ally community on-campus, was marked with colorfully decorated tables on each side of the HUB main entrance. The tables advertised safe sex, opposed domestic violence, and promoted the LGBTA Student Resource Center between two rainbow balloon arches.
Zach Davis, a sophomore in Women’s Studies, stood in the middle of the HUB holding a “free gay hugs” sign and embraced anyone who wanted a hug. Destiny’s Child blared from computer speakers.
But this was only the beginning of a week’s worth of prideful events. If interested in more events, here’s the schedule for the rest of Pride Week 2013 at Penn State:
Tuesday, March 19
- There will be a group of spiritual leaders who will share their opinions on the LGBTA community at the Keeping the Faith ceremony at 12:00 p.m. at the Penn State Pasquerilla Spiritual Center.
- Scott Church, a photographer famous for shooting drag performers, will speak about drag at 7:00 p.m. in the HUB Auditorium.
Wednesday, March 20
- LGBTA will be hosting a Pride Rally at 12:00 p.m. on the Old Main steps to present the Sue Rankin Award and hear guest speakers like Kate Clinton.
- Kate Clinton, a political comedian, will speak at 7:00 p.m. in Heritage Hall.
Thursday, March 21
- Anyone interested in becoming an ally or supporter of the LGBTA community can attend the Ally Training Information Session at 11:00 a.m. in 321 HUB.
- University Health Services will be holding a Free STI/HIV Testing from 12:00-4:00 p.m. at the Student Health Center.
- Pride Week’s Open Forum will be at 6:00 p.m. in the Paul Robeson Cultural Center to discuss the multiple identities people have.
Friday, March 22
- A Safer Sex Workshop is available at 3:00 p.m. in 129c HUB for anyone interested in learning or discussing safe ways to engage in sexual activity.
- The Commission on Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, and Transgender Equity is hosting a spring social from 4:00-6:00 p.m. at the Palmer Museum of Art for Penn State faculty, staff, students, and their partners and families.
- A Spring Fling Dance will be at 7:30 p.m. in 320 HUB.
Monday, March 25
- LGBTA will have a reflective conversation with Penn State Hillel at the Passover Sender at 7:00 p.m. in the Pasquerilla Spiritual Center.
Wednesday, March 27
- A Support Network Film will be shown from 12:00-1:30 p.m. in 106 HUB.
- “How to Survive a Plague,” a documentary with Peter Staley, will air at 5:00 pm. in the HUB Auditorium.
Thursday, March 28
- The CAPS and LGBTA Gayme Show will be held at 5:30 p.m. in 101 Boucke, testing participants’ knowledge about queer topics. Fun is guaranteed!
Friday, March 29
- The final event of Pride Week will be a Drag Show from 6:00-9:00 p.m. in the HUB Alumni Hall.
Your ad blocker is on.
Please choose an option below.
Purchase a Subscription!
About the Author
No matter what else you choose, you’re legally obligated to take a graduation photo at the Lion Shrine.
Football season ticket holders are invited to town hall meetings to learn about parking and traffic changes for next season.
Send this to a friend