PSU news by
Penn State's student blog

Topics

About

Vote Penn State Goalkeeper Andrew Wolverton for National Player Of The Year

Penn State goalkeeper Andrew Wolverton has been nominated for the Soccer News Net College Boot award, which recognizes the Player of the Year in NCAA Men’s Soccer.

Wolverton, who was named Big Ten Goalkeeper of the Year, is one of 29 finalists for the award. Online voting will account for 40% of of the vote, while the remaining 60% will be determined by the Soccer News Net editorial staff. Regardless of the final decision, the winner of the online fan vote will be named Soccer News Net Supporter’s Choice Award.

The 6’-6” junior keeper has been outstanding this season, posting a 13-5 record with a .812 save percentage while starting all 20 matches for the Nittany Lions. His eight shutouts rank fourth in the Big Ten, and his stellar goalkeeping was instrumental in securing Penn State’s second-straight Big Ten title, the team’s fifth since 1993.

Like any great player worthy of a national award, Wolverton has elevated his game when the spotlight shines brightest. His back-to-back shutouts over St. Francis and No. 15 UC Santa Barbara in the first two rounds of the NCAA Tournament has Penn State in the Sweet 16 for the fifth time since 2001.

To vote for Wolverton, click here. Voting begins on December 19, and the winner will be announced in January. Fans can vote as many times as they want, so go ahead Penn State fans — stuff that virtual ballot box!

About the Author

CJ Doon

CJ is a senior journalism major from Long Island and Onward State's Sports Editor. He is a third-generation Penn Stater, and his grandfather wrestled for the university back in the 1930s under coach Charlie “Doc” Speidel. Besides writing, one of his favorite activities is making sea puns. You can follow him on Twitter @CJDoon, and send your best puns to [email protected], just for the halibut.

Comments

More by CJ

Get Out There And Meet People: CJ Doon’s Senior Column

Whether it’s natural curiosity or fear of the spotlight, I’m not sure, but I’ve always been more comfortable asking questions rather than answering them. Interviewing interesting people — friends, family, or strangers — is an enjoyable activity that I hope to turn into a living. At Penn State, I was afforded the opportunity to follow that passion — and then some.

Penn State Women’s Lacrosse Wins First Big Ten Championship

Jesse James Drafted No. 160 Overall By Pittsburgh Steelers

Athletics

Penn State Women’s Volleyball Releases 2018 Schedule

Russ Rose’s Nittany Lions won’t play a single home match in September, electing to test themselves against teams like Stanford and Oregon early in the season.

Penn State Hoops Alumnus Joonas Suotamo’s Journey To Becoming Chewbacca Featured On ESPN’s ‘E:60’

Evaluating Tony Carr’s Performance At The 2018 NBA Draft Combine

Penn State Hockey Commit Evan Bell Wins Clark Cup With USHL’s Fargo Force

Center Ludvig Larsson Transfers To Penn State Hockey From Merrimack

Student Life

Penn State Esports Wins Tespa Collegiate Hearthstone Championship

With two Penn State Esport teams in the top eight, the odds of winning the National Championship were ever in our favor.

Road And Utility Work Impacting Penn State This Summer

Where Do Penn Staters Move After Graduation?

Plans Submitted For New KFC In State College

Developers have submitted preliminary land development plans to build a new KFC restaurant at 1780 S. Atherton St. in State College.

Predicting Penn State’s 2018 Kickoff Times

As the Nittany Lions have ascended back into college football’s elite, they’ve taken the field at night more often in the past few years and avoided the dreaded early kickoff.

We Are Royalty: Meghan Markle Is A Penn State Fan

Penn State fans are everywhere, even in the British royal family.

Be the first to know

  • Top posts and the best Penn State stories

Thank you for subscribing.

Something went wrong.

Penn State Esports Wins Tespa Collegiate Hearthstone Championship

With two Penn State Esport teams in the top eight, the odds of winning the National Championship were ever in our favor.

Send this to a friend