Penn Staters in the NFL: 2013 Season Review
Penn State has had a long-standing tradition of sending quality players to the NFL, and the 2013 season was no exception. Highlighted by Pro Bowl-worthy performances by NaVorro Bowman, Cameron Wake, and Tamba Hali, all 25 former Nittany Lions on NFL rosters in 2013 represented the Blue and White with pride and honor.
Here’s how all the Penn Staters fared this season in the NFL:
NaVorro Bowman is the heart and soul of the playoff-bound San Francisco 49ers. His 135 tackles were sixth-most in the league, and this interception won the game for the 49ers in the last regular season matchup at Candlestick Park.
Tamba Hali is the second Penn Stater to be elected to the Pro Bowl. Hali had 46 tackles, 11 sacks, and an interception while fighting through injury, and led the Kansas City Chiefs to the playoffs. Hali scored his first career touchdown on an interception in Week 1, and his second on this fumble recovery against the Bills in Week 9.
Dolphins defensive end Cameron Wake rounds out the list of Pro Bowlers. Wake finished with 35 tackles and 8.5 sacks, and this safety in overtime gave Miami the win over the Bengals.
Robbie Gould had another outstanding season for the Chicago Bears, going 26/29 on field goals for the year while hitting a franchise-record 58-yarder in Week 1. Gould was rewarded with the largest contract ever given to a kicker, but he did not receive a Pro Bowl selection.
Dallas Cowboys linebacker Sean Lee was the best defensive player in the league for the first half of the year, recording 99 tackles and four interceptions in the first 10 games. Lee has only played in one game since November 10 due to injury, and missed out on the Pro Bowl.
Jaguars linebacker Paul Posluszny had another standout season, tallying 152 tackles and two interceptions. Despite finishing second in the league in tackles, Posluszny was also inexplicably overlooked for the Pro Bowl.
Finally, you can’t mention Penn State players in the NFL without bringing up Matt McGloin. McGloin’s lifelong dream was finally realized this season when he was named the starting quarterback for the Oakland Raiders. McGloin’s record was 1-6 as a starter, but Oakland’s offense was extremely efficient under the rookie from Scranton.
- Andrew Quarless (Green Bay): 30 receptions for 281 yards, 2 touchdowns
- Cameron Wake (Miami): 35 tackles, 8.5 sacks, 2 forced fumbles, 1 fumble recovery, 1 safety. Selected to Pro Bowl.
- Dan Connor (Carolina): 4 tackles
- Derek Moye (Pittsburgh): 2 receptions for 20 yards, 1 TD
- Devon Still (Cincinnati): 7 tackles
- Evan Royster (Washington): 2 rushes for 0 yards
- Gerald Hodges (Minnesota): 5 tackles
- Jack Crawford (Oakland): 15 tackles
- Jared Odrick (Miami): 41 tackles, 4.5 sacks, 1 forced fumble.
- Jordan Hill (Seattle): 7 tackles, 1.5 sacks
- Josh Hull (Washington): 10 tackles
- Matt McGloin (Oakland): 1-6 as starter, 118 completions on 211 attempts (55.9%), 1,547 yards, 8 touchdowns, 8 interceptions, 11 rushes for 27 yards
- Michael Mauti (Minnesota): 11 tackles
- Michael Robinson (Seahawks): 2 receptions for 27 yards, 1 rush for 0 yards
- Nate Stupar (49ers/Jaguars): 8 tackles
- NaVorro Bowman (49ers): 135 tackles, 4 sacks, 3 forced fumbles, 1 fumble recovery, 1 interception (returned for a touchdown). Selected to Pro Bowl
- Paul Posluszny (Jaguars): 152 tackles, one forced fumble, one fumble recovery, 2 interceptions (one returned for a touchdown)
- Robbie Gould (Bears): 26/29 on field goals (89.7%), 41/42 on extra points, 119 points, long of 58 yards
- Sean Lee (Cowboys): 99 tackles, 1 fumble recovery, 4 interceptions (one returned for a touchdown)
- Tamba Hali (Chiefs): 46 tackles, 11 sacks, 4 forced fumbles, 2 fumble recoveries and 1 interception (2 returned for touchdowns). Selected to Pro Bowl.
- Offensive linemen Rich Ohrnberger and Johnnie Troutman (San Diego), A.Q. Shipley (Baltimore), Levi Brown (Airzona/Pittsburgh), and Stefen Wisniewski (Oakland) all played games this year for their respective teams, and do not have any recorded stats.
Your ad blocker is on.
Please choose an option below.
Purchase a Subscription!
About the Author
Want to be a part of the nation’s premier student-run media outlet? Want to have your words read or your pictures seen by hundreds of thousands of readers and social media followers?
“As we work together to make the impact as least disruptive as possible to our students and employees, we strongly urge Congress and the president to end this impasse.”
Send this to a friend