Penn State and State College Borough To Celebrate Military Appreciation Week
Penn State and the Borough of State College are teaming up this year to recognize Military Appreciation Week from November 4 to November 12. The week will be marked with events designed to honor service members, veterans, and their families as well as commemorate those who died while serving.
Penn State’s Office of Government Relations and Community Relations worked with the Downtown Improvement District and Mayor Goreham to organize the events and activities for the week. Goreham issued a proclamation on October 10 that officially declared the week a Military Appreciation Week in the Borough of State College, with Friday, November 4 established as “Military Appreciation First Friday” downtown.
Here’s a run-down of all the events for the week:
Friday, November 4
- Military Appreciation First Friday — Downtown State College, 5 p.m. to 8 p.m.
- Military-Themes Movie Series: Saving Private Ryan — 62 Willard Building, 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Saturday, November 5
- Pennsylvania Military Museum Pre-Tailgate Program — Pennsylvania Military Museum, 10 a.m. to 2:30 p.m.
- Military Appreciation Football Game — Beaver Stadium, 7 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- Huddle with the Faculty: James W. Houck on “National Security and the Law: Challenges for the Next President” — Nittany Lion Inn, 8:30 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Sunday, November 6
- Military-Themed Movie Series: 13 Hours: The Secret Soldiers of Benghazi — 113 Carnegie Building, 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Monday, November 7
- Military-Themed Movie Series: Blackhawk Down — 373 Willard Building, 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Tuesday, November 8
- Military-Themed Movie Series: Living Unstoppable: The Jay Platt Story — 106 Business Building, 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Wednesday, November 9
- Guest Speaker: USMC Retired Jay Platt — Freeman Auditorium in the HUB, 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Thursday, November 10
- Student Veteran Luncheon — Hintz Family Alumni Center, 12 p.m. to 2 p.m.
- Military-Themed Movie Series: Lone Survivor — 113 Carnegie Building, 6 p.m. to 9 p.m.
Friday, November 11
- Wagner March — Wagner Building, 10:15 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Veterans Day Ceremony — Old Main Lawn, 11 a.m. to 12 p.m.
Saturday, November 12
- Freedom 5k for PTSD — Gate B of the Bryce Jordan Center, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
In addition to the week of activities, both the men’s and women’s basketball teams will host Military Appreciation games at the Bryce Jordan Center on November 13. The Lady Lions will kick off the evening against Saint Peter’s at 1 p.m. and the men will face Duquesne at 6 p.m.