PSU news by
Penn State's student blog



Updated Bowl Projections For The Nittany Lions

As the regular season finale draws closer, the stakes get higher for No. 8 Penn State. Coming off a commanding 39-0 shutout over Rutgers in Piscataway, the Lions need only a few more chips to fall to reach either a New Year’s Six Bowl or the College Football Playoff.

Irvin Charles Penn State Football at Indiana 2016

The Big Ten East odds remained relatively unchanged after both Michigan and Ohio State eked out victories against Indiana and Michigan State, respectively. Penn State is the favorite to capture the Big Ten East crown with 49 percent odds to Michigan’s 41 percent. Ohio State trails heavily, coming in with only 10 percent odds. Penn State’s road to Indianapolis seems relatively simple. It merely has to defeat Michigan State in Beaver Stadium and hope that Ohio State can take down a Michigan team that’s struggled outside the confines of The Big House this season. The Wolverines have only lost once on the year, but that lone loss came in a tough environment on the road against Iowa. Playing against one another as top-three teams for only the second time since 2006, there’s as good a chance as any that Michigan could fall, which would secure Penn State its first trip to the Big Ten Championship Game.

That’s where things get very interesting.

The Lions, if they were to advance to the Big Ten Championship Game, would face either Wisconsin or Nebraska. Both programs face tough opponents in their regular season finales, with the Badgers squaring off against a loaded 8-3 Minnesota team while Nebraska heads to Kinnick Stadium to face a 7-4 Iowa team — the same venue that claimed then-undefeated Michigan. If the Badgers lose and Nebraska wins, it’ll be the Cornhuskers advancing to Indianapolis. If Wisconsin wins, it won’t matter what Nebraska does since it holds the tiebreaker over its Big Ten West foe.

From there, the College Football Playoff becomes that much more real. There’s a lot of variables — specifically, what happens to No. 4 Clemson and No. 6 Washington. If, say, the Lions were to beat No. 5 Wisconsin in the Big Ten Championship game, then it creates a very compelling case for the committee to analyze. Louisville is out of the picture, but Washington still has a tough matchup left against a very good Washington State team. With only one loss, it’d be tough to leave the Huskies out of contention, just as it would leaving out No. 7 Oklahoma — who doesn’t have a conference title game to play, but does have a talented opponent in No. 10 Oklahoma State left on its schedule.


Phew, that might’ve seemed like a lot, but it’s certainly a feasible notion. Now, if the Lions were to lose in the title game, or miss out on claiming the East altogether, there’s still hope for a New Year’s Six Bowl. Right now, the Lions are projected to make either the Cotton Bowl or the Orange Bowl — both of which would be fine consolations to missing out on the playoff. CBS has the Lions squaring off against Western Michigan in the Cotton Bowl, while SB Nation has the Lions pitted against Louisville in the Orange Bowl. I don’t know about you, but I’d take a date with Lamar Jackson over some postseason MACtion any day of the week.

So, there’s plenty at stake here for the Lions in this final week, but some of it is out of their control. In the words of James Franklin, Michigan State, Michigan State, Michigan State, Michigan State, Michigan State…

About the Author

David Abruzzese

David is a senior from Rochester, NY, nestled right in beautiful Western New York. He is majoring in Broadcast Journalism, and as an avid sports fan, he passionately supports the Buffalo Bills and Buffalo Sabres. He is the first Penn Stater from his family, and couldn’t be prouder to represent Penn State University. In his free time, he likes to alpine ski, and play golf. You can follow him on Twitter @abruz11, and can contact him via email at [email protected]


More by David

So Long, And Goodnight: David Abruzzese’s Senior Column

It’s been a hell of a ride, folks. Senior staffer David Abruzzese rides off into the sunset with his senior column.

Saquon Barkley Mum On NFL Future; Relishes Fiesta Bowl Opportunity

DOTD: Nittany Lion Catches Pass At Fiesta Bowl


Penn State Women’s Volleyball Releases 2018 Schedule

Russ Rose’s Nittany Lions won’t play a single home match in September, electing to test themselves against teams like Stanford and Oregon early in the season.

Penn State Hoops Alumnus Joonas Suotamo’s Journey To Becoming Chewbacca Featured On ESPN’s ‘E:60’

Evaluating Tony Carr’s Performance At The 2018 NBA Draft Combine

Penn State Hockey Commit Evan Bell Wins Clark Cup With USHL’s Fargo Force

Center Ludvig Larsson Transfers To Penn State Hockey From Merrimack

Student Life

Penn State Esports Wins Tespa Collegiate Hearthstone Championship

With two Penn State Esport teams in the top eight, the odds of winning the National Championship were ever in our favor.

Road And Utility Work Impacting Penn State This Summer

Where Do Penn Staters Move After Graduation?

Plans Submitted For New KFC In State College

Developers have submitted preliminary land development plans to build a new KFC restaurant at 1780 S. Atherton St. in State College.

Predicting Penn State’s 2018 Kickoff Times

As the Nittany Lions have ascended back into college football’s elite, they’ve taken the field at night more often in the past few years and avoided the dreaded early kickoff.

We Are Royalty: Meghan Markle Is A Penn State Fan

Penn State fans are everywhere, even in the British royal family.

Be the first to know

  • Top posts and the best Penn State stories

Thank you for subscribing.

Something went wrong.

Penn State Esports Wins Tespa Collegiate Hearthstone Championship

With two Penn State Esport teams in the top eight, the odds of winning the National Championship were ever in our favor.

Send this to a friend