Attention Seniors: 55 Days of Cafe is Back
Hey seniors, you may still be recovering from a week of heavy drinking at a tropical location, but it’s time to end the detox because today marks the beginning of a special tradition — the seventh annual 55 Days of Cafe. Those who manage to make it to the end will live on in State College infamy, even after graduation.
55 Days of Cafe is a marathon event where 21+ students go to Cafe 210 West for 55 days in a row. Participants must purchase at least one item from the menu — alcoholic or non-alcoholic — every single day. The key to not spending a ridiculous amount of money is to go during the day, so you don’t have to pay cover fees.
Just like last year, the dates were altered to accommodate graduation weekend. The 55th day will be the Monday after graduation weekend, on May 12. The Saturday and Sunday of that weekend will not count toward the 55 days. Easter Sunday is also a free day for participants.
The event’s official rules as listed on the Cafe 210 event Facebook page are listed below. Read them carefully so you don’t inadvertently mess up your chances of completing the challenge. Those who do last 55 days will have their names inscribed on a plaque that will be displayed in time for Arts Fest. Here are some pro-tips in the meantime.
- You must consume one drink (non-alcoholic beverages are allowed) or one food item every day during the duration of the club. One day equals from when we that day until we close. Coming earlier in the day, then again after midnight does not count as a second day.
- You must be 21 or older and a Penn State senior to participate. You must show valid ID upon entry – drivers license or passport.
- You must sign in every day that you are here and have purchased a food item or beverage. There will be a sign-in sheet at the bar during the day with the doorman checking ID’s at night. You will be assigned a number which will remain the same for the duration of the 55 days. Please use that number when checking in.
- Out of town absences will be excused with a receipt showing you had food or a drink at a restaurant or bar. Liquor stores, beer distributors, and grocery stores do not count. Turn in the receipt with your name and 55 day number clearly printed on the top.
- An unexcused absence can be made up by doing a “day long” shift. You must check in with the manager at 11 a.m. and stay until midnight. You are allowed two day longs for two absences. Any more unexcused absences and you are disqualified.
- All of those who successfully complete their 55 days are invited to a party at Cafe on the last day and will have their names engraved on the official 55 day plaque.