Warm Weather Forces OPP to Cut Electrical Use
Due to the unseasonably warm weather hitting the region today and tomorrow, the Office of the Physical Plant announced the possibility of a mandatory reduction of electricity for campus. In the event that happens, there will be a two hour window in order to prepare.
OPP offers the following advice in order to reduce electricity and avoid a mandatory reduction:
- Shut off all unneeded office equipment and lights. Equipment should include computers, monitors, printers, copiers, coffee makers and task lighting.
- Unplug iPod, digital camera and phone chargers when not in use.
- Reduce water usage since water is pumped into Penn State’s storage tanks with electricity.
- Use window blinds appropriately for cooling.
- Keep exterior doors closed in air-conditioned buildings. Make sure operable windows also are closed.
In an attempt to avoid a reduction, OPP is allowing for the possibility of turning on a generator, to allow for an increased load on the campus grid. If this happens, there is the possibility of disruption to electrical devices not on an uninterrupted power supply.