Homecoming 2010: Schedule of Events
Homecoming week is upon us. Every alumni’s favorite week of the year kicked off yesterday with the Homecoming 5k in the afternoon and the Dance Competition and Boys Like Girls concert in the evening. The rest of the week is filled with fun events for students and alumni to find out about some Penn State history and see several on-campus organizations showcase their talents. Here’s a breakdown of the events taking place:
- East Halls Celebration – Aimed at the freshman class, this event will feature singing, dancing and juggling performances from several student organizations, as well as opportunities to win posters and T-shirts. 4 p.m.-8 p.m. in East Halls.
- Past to Present Celebration – Find out the history behind Homecoming week and see some special performances including belly dancing, singing, athlete hour and a special magic performance by GSpan. 10 a.m.-4 p.m. in the HUB.
- For the Glory Talent Competition – Hosted by the 2010 Homecoming Court, the Talent Competition will include lip-syncing and dancing, skits, fashion shows and rapping. This event takes the place of Airbands, in order to accomodate smaller organizations. 7 p.m. in Eisenhower Auditorium (Free Ticket required, available at Eisenhower Box office).
- Best of Penn State Carnival – Students will be able to indulge in The Diner’s sticky buns, eat Canyon pizza and play cornhole at the Carnival which aims to tie together themes around the Penn State campus and downtown State College to highlight what Penn Staters take pride in the most. Activities will include jousting, riding a mechanical bull or climbing the Velcro wall. 5 p.m.-8 p.m. on the Old Main Lawn.
- Student-Alumni Ice Cream Social – Pick up some free Creamery ice cream and listen to performances by the Alumni Blue Band and the Hi-Lo’s, and get a chance to meet Grand Marshall Allison Baver. 1 p.m.-6 p.m. at the Hintz Alumni Center
- Homecoming Parade – The granddaddy of them all. The parade will feature various floats, walking groups, dance teams and marching bands from the Penn State and State College community. Come see Olympian and Grand Marshall Allison Baver and the Student and Faculty Courts riding in convertibles. 6 p.m. throughout campus and College Ave.
- Homecoming Pep Rally – Gear up for the football game against Illinois with the Homecoming Pep Rally, featuring performances by the Blue Band, Glee Club and Lionettes Dance Team. Former football kicker Kevin Kelly and THON 2009 Overall Chairwoman Caitlin Zankowski will share their Penn State experiences in a section titled “When I was a Lion…” Homecoming King and Queen will be announced at the conclusion of the event. Immediately following the parade in Rec Hall.
- Homecoming Tailgate Competition – Think you have the best tailgate? Show us what you’ve got in the annual Homecoming Tailgate Competition. 9 a.m. around Beaver Stadium (Registration required to compete).
- Homecoming Game – The Nittany Lions try to right the ship against the Fighting Illini. 12 p.m. in Beaver Stadium.
- Alumni Zone – Post-game Homecoming Tailgate – The newest homecoming week event, join the Alumni Association for an all you can eat tailgate food, grilled stickies and Creamery Ice Cream. Performances by the Alumni Blue Band and local band Velvetta are scheduled. Immediately following the game in the Ashenfelter Multi–Sport Facility, next to the Bryce Jordan Center. (Tickets required)
It looks to be a fun filled week for all the students, alumni and fans in State College for the week. Now if only the rain would hold off…