Intersection Canning Not Kosher in Certain Cities, THON Says
In preparation for the second canning weekend of the year, THON chairs were sent an updated list of cities where canning at intersections is prohibited by police. THON Overall Kirsten Kelly wrote in the email that,
Police authorities will be especially diligent when finding canners at these locations and will punish all violators to the fullest extent of the law.
Canning isn’t prohibited in these cities, but Kelly asked chairs to stick to storefronts and other areas that permit THON solicitation.
The email also contained other safety tips for THON canning, included below.
- Do not solicit donations between moving or unmoving traffic or on road medians
- Do not stand in an area where oncoming traffic cannot see you
- Wear bright, visible and warm clothing
- Contact boroughs, municipalities, and cities in advance about permits required for solicitation at road intersections
- Check the area for store-fronts before registering street corners; store fronts are a more reliable point of solicitation
Organizations who don’t follow THON’s rules & regulations (see what I did there) could be subject to penalties including loss of canning weekend totals, loss of organization dancers, and loss of entire organizational total for THON 2011.