Penn State 2011 Distinguished Alumni Awards
Seven Penn State alumni were selected to receive Distinguished Alumni Awards, the highest award given by the university. In an unfortunate surprise, I did not make the cut this year, but here’s who did.
John D. Gearhart (Class of 1964, College of Agricultural Sciences)
- A founding member of the International Society for Stem Cell Research
- Director of Insititute for Regenerative Medicine at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
- “A leader in the development and use of human reproductive technologies, embryo and germ cell manipulations and in the genetic engineering of cells” according to his UPenn profile.
- 2007 Penn State University (Behrend Campus) Philanthropist of the Year
- Retired Chairman and CEO of PNC Bank
- Former President of the Pennsylvania Bankers Association
- Former chairman of the board of directors of The Milton S. Hershey Medical Center (2000-2009)
- One of the original five members of the Big Ten Network Board of Directors
George T. Richards (Class of 1954, College of Liberal Arts)
- Managing director of Richards Associates (no, not this one)
- Founded Vitex Packaging, formerly a leading supplier to the tea industry in the U.S.
- Former president of the Tea Association of the U.S.A.
- Professor of therapeutic radiology and pharmacology and associate dean for Scientific Affairs at the Yale University School of Medicine
- Received her B.S. in Physics in from Penn State in 1965 and her Ph.D. in Biophysics from Stanford in 1971
- Laboratory research focuses on studying the unphysiological microenvironments of cells within solid tumors, with the goal of improving the treatment of cancer
- Professor with the Scripps Institution of Oceanography at the University of California at San Diego
- A “Coordinating Lead Author” for the 2007 Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)
- Chairman of Towne Development of Hawaii
- Founded PACT (Pacific Americas Commerce & Technology)
- Has also been management at Marriot Hotel Corporation, Sheraton Hotel in the Pacific, Landauer Associates and Bankers Trust Company