Penn State 2011 Distinguished Alumni Awards
Seven Penn State alumni were selected to receive Distinguished Alumni Awards, the highest award given by the university. In an unfortunate surprise, I did not make the cut this year, but here’s who did.
John D. Gearhart (Class of 1964, College of Agricultural Sciences)
- A founding member of the International Society for Stem Cell Research
- Director of Insititute for Regenerative Medicine at University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
- “A leader in the development and use of human reproductive technologies, embryo and germ cell manipulations and in the genetic engineering of cells” according to his UPenn profile.
- 2007 Penn State University (Behrend Campus) Philanthropist of the Year
- Retired Chairman and CEO of PNC Bank
- Former President of the Pennsylvania Bankers Association
- Former chairman of the board of directors of The Milton S. Hershey Medical Center (2000-2009)
- One of the original five members of the Big Ten Network Board of Directors
George T. Richards (Class of 1954, College of Liberal Arts)
- Managing director of Richards Associates (no, not this one)
- Founded Vitex Packaging, formerly a leading supplier to the tea industry in the U.S.
- Former president of the Tea Association of the U.S.A.
- Professor of therapeutic radiology and pharmacology and associate dean for Scientific Affairs at the Yale University School of Medicine
- Received her B.S. in Physics in from Penn State in 1965 and her Ph.D. in Biophysics from Stanford in 1971
- Laboratory research focuses on studying the unphysiological microenvironments of cells within solid tumors, with the goal of improving the treatment of cancer
- Professor with the Scripps Institution of Oceanography at the University of California at San Diego
- A “Coordinating Lead Author” for the 2007 Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change (IPCC)
- Chairman of Towne Development of Hawaii
- Founded PACT (Pacific Americas Commerce & Technology)
- Has also been management at Marriot Hotel Corporation, Sheraton Hotel in the Pacific, Landauer Associates and Bankers Trust Company
- Minister without Portfolio, Executive Yuan of the Republic of China (Taiwan)
- Former Minister of the Ministry of Education of the Republic of China
- “A leading pioneer in cognitive neuroscientific studies of the Chinese language” according to Academic Sinica News
Your ad blocker is on.
Please choose an option below.
Purchase a Subscription!
About the Author
Want to be a part of the nation’s premier student-run media outlet? Want to have your words read or your pictures seen by hundreds of thousands of readers and social media followers?
“As we work together to make the impact as least disruptive as possible to our students and employees, we strongly urge Congress and the president to end this impasse.”
Send this to a friend