Canning “Do”s and “Don’t”s
Classes have started, the quarterback carousel is turning, and canning weekends are here. Ah, yes, fall is upon us.
As a former THON chair, I know that canning is great way to meet new friends and raise money for the cause that we all love and adore. In preparation for this weekend, here are a few tips for both veterans and first-timers:
- Prepare for inclement weather – Four canning weekends span late September to mid-February this year. This weekend’s forecast in the area looks so-so.
- Bring a pillow – If you know the place you’ll be canning at is hosting 10+ people, this is a smart move.
- Wear Penn State apparel – This should be an obvious one. Hats, scarves, hoodies, knee socks, and jerseys are all good ideas.
- Pay the driver – Drivers are crucial to successful canning weekends. Depending on the distance on the trip, hook your driver up with some gas money.
- Be friendly – People are much more likely to donate if you greet them on their way by.
- Smile! – There are thousands of people out there that really appreciate your canning efforts!
- Drop out at the last minute – Having had to organize canning trips myself, there is nothing more frustrating than someone who drops out Friday morning. THON Chairs work hard to put these weekends together and a late dropout can be a huge wrench in the works.
- Run out in the middle of the street – Let’s get everyone home safely this weekend.
- Be upset if people don’t donate – Many people donate to THON and many people don’t. There’s no need to get frustrated if people don’t chip in.
- Get in arguments with canners from other orgs – This happens rather frequently. Solve these dilemmas peacefully—there’s no reason to be aggressive. Best way to solve this is getting to your canning location early.
Your ad blocker is on.
Please choose an option below.
Purchase a Subscription!
About the Author
While he wasn’t a Nittany Lion in Penn State’s 2021 loss to Iowa, Robinson was set on revenge.
O’Hara, who plays both tight end and defensive end in high school, will likely play tight end for the Nittany Lions.
The sportsbook also put the over at 46.5 points.