Urban Meyer’s Visit to State College
This will not be the first time that former Florida Gators football coach Urban Meyer has been mentioned here. It seems that every few weeks, there is a new report that links the current ESPN analyst to Penn State as Joe Paterno’s successor. With Meyer in State College this past weekend to call the Penn State-Iowa game as part of ABC’s broadcast team, stories from Fight On State and The Sports RappUp (An Ohio State football site) cited sources who claimed that Penn State had reached out to Meyer about the job.
Urban Meyer has denied these rumors, as is to be expected with any coaching search (especially one that isn’t officially on yet), but where there’s smoke, there’s fire. Many Nittany Lions fans are on two extremes here with no middle ground: Absolutely in love with the idea or vehemently against it. Count me in the group as fully supporting it. Meyer won two national championships while at Florida and led Utah to a BCS bowl game when they were still in the Mountain West Conference. Replacing a legend is never an easy task, nor does the process typically go smoothly, but given the circumstances, this could be as smooth as the Penn State athletic department can get.
Paterno, currently without a contract for next season, may retire at the end of the season, or, if he has his way, five to fifty years from now. Whenever the time comes, hiring a new football coach will be the most important decision that Tim Curley and Graham Spanier make in their tenures at Penn State. If Meyer is truly interested in the job and this happens to be the year JoePa hangs it up, they have to put him at the top of the list—especially if it keeps him away from Ohio State.
Rumors are sure to pick up as the season comes to a close, but Onward State has received exclusive information about Meyer’s visit to State College last week. We sent our crack team of investigators to tail him in a black van. Here’s a rundown of how he spent his time:
- Friday, 3:55 p.m. – Spotted driving on Mount Nittany Expressway instructing his son to #BuckleUp.
- 5:17 p.m. – Arrives outside Beaver Stadium and kisses the feet of Joe Paterno’s statue.
- 6:07 p.m. – Walks to Waring Commons to enjoy dinner and some chocolate chip cookies with Devon Still.
- 7:18 p.m. – Spotted conversing with Graham Spanier at Kiwi Frozen Yogurt.
- 7:36 p.m. -Purchases a Tressel’s Tattoo and Pawn Shop shirt from The Student Bookstore.
- 8:12 p.m. – Heard practicing Rally in the Valley speeches inside Rec Hall.
- 9:34 p.m. – Stops at Cafe 210 West to teach fans the Gator chop while learning Penn State cheers. Met with tepid reception.
- 10:46 p.m. – Makes an appearance at Paternoville leading the Penn State version of the Michigan fight song.
Saturday, 1:11 a.m. – Orders breadsticks and stromboli at Canyon Pizza, screws up the fluid motion of the line outside.
- 2:05 a.m. – Unable to sleep due to excitement, gets some coffee at Dunkin’ Donuts while reading about Mounting Nittany.
- 3:14 a.m. – Spotted talking to Rob Bolden outside Wings Over Happy Valley.
- 3:59 a.m. – Seen diagramming trick plays in the stacks of Pattee Library.
- 6:46 a.m. – Stops at Ye Olde College Diner for a grilled sticky.
- 8:09 a.m. – Takes screaming lessons from Pat Chambers outside the Bryce Jordan Center.
- 9:18 a.m. – Runs deep routes with Matt McGloin and Derek Moye at Holuba Hall.
- 10:43 a.m. – Participates in blocking sled drill at White Building with Michael Zordich.
- 11:24 a.m. – Steps off bus at Beaver Stadium to practice entrance walk.
- 1:02 p.m. – Spotted inside the HUB eating Chick-Fil-A with Galen Hall while talking about Florida oranges.
- 2:13 p.m. – Orders Peachy Paterno ice cream at Berkey Creamery.
- 3:37 p.m. – Seen on a crane inside Beaver Stadium putting the year “2012” on the suites façade next to 2008.
- 4:08 p.m. – Stops back at IM fields to coach up a few IM teams including Eskimo Brothers and Deuce Droppers.
- 4:43 p.m. – Visits Blue Band rehearsal to do flips with Ian Kenney.
- 5:31 p.m. – Witnessed posing for a family portrait at the Lion Shrine.
- 6:20 p.m. – Selects 2012 Big Ten championship rings at Moyer Jewelers.
- 6:56 p.m. – Purchases a Silas Redd jersey at Lions Pride.
- 7:40 p.m. – Disappointed to see the Waffle Shop is not open for dinner, treated to a free dinner at the Corner Room.
- 8:09 p.m. – The meal is sealed with a handshake from Tim Curley.