A College Student’s Guide To Eating On The Cheap
- Buy in bulk: Don’t shop at Mclanahans, rather, shop at Wal-Mart where you can buy larger packages at a discount. It is easy to save the $0.50 that the Vairo CATA bus costs when you shop at Wal-Mart.
- Even better, buy a membership to the Sam’s Club out near Nittany Mall. You can split the cost with your roommates and take a weekly or monthly trip to stock up.
- Buy a rice cooker. Seriously, you put the rice and water in and turn it on and then the rice is done later without any supervision.
- Eat simple. Buying packages of frozen vegetables, rice and beans will give you the essentials of a healthy diet, without the expense of fresh vegetables all the time.
- Spices are the spice of life. Invest in a few packages of spices. My favorites are lemon pepper and a “Mexican spice blend”. These can go on everything and make an otherwise bland meal delicious.
- Avoid eating out. Although a dollar cheeseburger at McDonalds may seem like a deal, that wont be enough food for a meal and you will just end up hungry later on.
- Pregame. Bars are expensive, it is much cheaper to buy your own booze and drink beforehand than it is to go do all your drinking at a bar.
- Make friends with a freshman. While the mandatory meal plan policy is horseshit, it can get you into the dining commons for free as a guest.
Do you have any tips that we missed? Feel free to leave them in the comments below.