FDA Called to Investigate Creamery
According to a university release, Penn State is seeking an FDA investigation following reports of “foreign objects” in Berkey Creamery ice cream. Since May of this year, three incidents have been reported where “pieces of plastic” were found in the ice cream, according to the report.
According to the University Police and Fire Daily Activity Report from last Thursday, at the Food Sciences Building, a visitor and employee both reported finding “foreign material” in ice cream.
The release cites steps being taken by the Creamery to ensure safer production. They are listed below:
1) Kept police and the FDA involved in the situation as an active and ongoing investigation. The FDA works with other government agencies and the private sector to reduce the risk of tampering or other actions involving the food supply.
2) Notified ingredient suppliers to remain vigilant for any unusual objects in their products, used in making ice cream flavors.
3) Increased surveillance around the facility.
4) Contacted the packaging supplier for tamper-resistent packaging solutions, such as a “tamper-evident band” or “skirt” around the lids of ice cream containers to deter tampering after ice cream is packaged and sealed. The bands also ensure the packaging is secure and remains sealed and provides consumers extra assurance of product integrity.
5) Reached out to the ice cream industry to have a third-party audit of the facility conducted immediately and gain information on additional best practices that may not yet be in use.
6) Moved to purchase an X-ray device and metal detectors that can detect unwanted objects in food products.
Wonderful…anything but the Creamery!
Your ad blocker is on.
Please choose an option below.
Purchase a Subscription!
About the Author
“Tim’s Law,” the Timothy J. Piazza Anti-Hazing Law, was approved by the Pennsylvania Senate Monday. The legislation is named after Tim Piazza, who died following a hazing ritual at the on-campus Beta Theta Pi fraternity house in February 2017. Now that it’s been passed by both Pennsylvania’s Senate and House of Representatives, the bill will move […]
“I’ll have a scarlet kidney but a heart that beats blue and white.”
Send this to a friend