50 Stats for Saturday: Virginia
After last week’s debut of 50 Stats for Saturday, it’s time for Round 2. Hopefully you find some interesting facts and/or tidbits that you otherwise wouldn’t have known.
Presented without further comment, your Stats for Saturday: Virginia Edition:
1. Allen Robinson tripled his career receptions and yards vs. Ohio.
2. Although he didn’t register a catch, true freshman Trevor Williams, saw plenty of reps at the WR position.
3. Matt Lehman’s first career touchdown also happened to be his first career reception.
4. Matt Lehman transferred to Penn State from Shippensburg in the Fall of 2010.
5. He is the only married man on the team.
6. Going back to last season, Penn State has been out outgained by an average of 219 yards over its last three games.
7. On average, Matt McGloin threw the ball 19 times a game last year.
8. He dropped back to pass 48 times on Saturday.
9. Penn State tight ends caught seven balls vs. Ohio.
10. That counts for a little less than half of all Penn State TE receptions in 2011 (15).
11. Penn State ran the ball 13 in the first half and just 9 times in the second half
12. Derek Day will start at tailback vs. Virginia.
13. He averaged 4.5 yards a carry last week.
14. Nittany Lions own the series with Virgina 5-2 (4-2 if you take into account a vacated win).
15. The two teams last squared off in 2002.
16. Penn State defeated the Cavaliers 35-14 (Of course, the win was later vacated).
17. Zach Mills went 19-30 for 227 yards and 2 TDs.
18. Current Houston Texans QB Matt Schaub quarterbacked the Cavaliers that day.
19. Fast forward 10 years and you’ll see that Virginia’s starting QB Michael Rocco has many Penn State ties.
20. His father and uncle played for the late Joe Paterno.
21. His grandfather even coached with Paterno for 19 years.
22. Rocco completed 68% of his passes for over 300 yards vs. Richmond on Saturday.
23. In its season opener, Virginia held Richmond to just 28 rushing yards.
24. Virginia starts four sophomores in the secondary.
25. September 1st marked Penn State’s least penalized game in almost a year (Sept. 24th, 2011 vs. Eastern Michigan)
26. Penn State’s defense has now allowed a rusher to eclipse 100 yards in 5 of the last 6 games.
27. In the game that they didn’t, Case Keenum threw for over 500 yards.
28. Ohio converted just 2 of 9 first downs in the first half.
29. Ohio converted 11 of 12 third downs in the second half.
30. On Saturday, Penn State’s longest play was only 22 yards.
31. Penn State faced seven 3rd/4th and short situations against Ohio.
32. Bill O’Brien elected to pass on six of those seven occasions.
33. Matt McGloin started out the game 8 for 9.
34. He ended the game 19-39.
35. Bill O’Brien has never come home from Charlottesville with a win as a college assistant coach (0-6).
36. Penn State opened this week as a 6 point underdog to Virginia.
37. That line has opened up and steadied at 10 points.
38. Virginia handed off the ball to three different backs 10+ times vs. Richmond last week.
39. Cumulatively, they gained 147 yards and 4 TDs on 38 carries.
40. The Cavaliers ran a very balanced offense last week
42. Threw it 43 times.
43. Ran it 42 times.
44. Mike Rocco completed passes to 11 different receivers.
45. Scott Stadium can hold about 56% of Beaver Stadium’s capacity.
46. After an Ohio kickoff, Penn State started drives, on average, from their own 18.
47. Penn State sustained three drives that included 10 plays or more.
48. Only one of those drives resulted in points (Belton Fumble, McGloin to Belton TD, Turnover on Downs).
49. Anthony Fera averaged 42 yards per punt last year.
50. Alex Butterworth averaged 36 yards per punt on Saturday.
Your ad blocker is on.
Please choose an option below.
Purchase a Subscription!
About the Author
If you’ve been brave enough to leave your dorm or apartment, we hope you had the good sense to build a snowman.
Onward State staffer Ethan Kasales reflects on the past few years and everyone who helped make his college experience so rewarding.
Send this to a friend