Report Shows Increase in On Campus Crime
In accordance with the Clery Act, Penn State released its on campus crime report for 2011, which showed an increase in criminal activity from previous years.
The 32-page report includes a statement from President Erickson, as well as emergency response information and other crime resources.
“It is up to each one of us to help foster a secure and supportive environment at Penn State—an environment where individuals can feel safe to visit, learn, work, and live,” said Erickson. “Primary to this goal are the principles of responsibility and respect. These values are essential to any community, and serve as the foundation for the success and productivity of our students, faculty, and staff.”
The report also includes detailed crime statistics for all on-campus crimes reported in 2011, which showed a substantial increase in criminal activity from previous years.
- 24 reported forcible sex offenses, up from 4 in 2010 ( 11 offenses occurred in previous years but were not reported until 2011, which is reflected in the 24)
- 112 burglaries, up from 58 last year
- 339 drug arrests, up from 225 last year
- 805 alcohol arrests, up from 742 last year
- 637 “Part 1” offenses, up from 565 last year
- 2727 total offenses, up from 2457 last year, and a nearly 60% increase since 2009
- A total of 455 fire drills were conducted in residence halls last year, for a total of 8 fires
The full report can be found here.
Your ad blocker is on.
Please choose an option below.
Purchase a Subscription!
About the Author
Want to be a part of the nation’s premier student-run media outlet? Want to have your words read or your pictures seen by hundreds of thousands of readers and social media followers? More importantly –do ya like having fun? Believe it or not, it’s that time again. Onward State is hiring for the spring semester and we’d […]
The last time Onward State power ranked bathrooms, “cesspool” bar bathrooms were excluded out of fairness to campus bathrooms. Now, we’re exploring which restrooms live up to that name and which lovely lavatories rise above.
Send this to a friend