How To Make Sure You Get On The CATA Bus
The CATA bus is really a lifesaver. With campus spanning almost a mile and the ever unpredictable Centre County forecast, a bunch of buses that cart you around is one of the best perks of being a student at Penn State .
That said, the CATA buses become pretty useless when you can’t even get on them because they’re either too full (step behind the yellow line, please) or because everybody else at the East Halls bus stop cut in front of you. Luckily, I have some tips that can help you make sure that you get on the bus and get to your next class on time.
- When you get to the bus stop doesn’t matter: Who cares who has been at the bus stop the longest? Definitely not that girl who is running to catch the bus. Don’t think that you’re entitled to get onto the bus first because you’ve been waiting for the longest.
- Put away your phone: If you have your phone out, it’s a dead giveaway that you aren’t committed to getting on the bus. People will cut in front of you if you are snapping a selfie instead of paying attention to getting on the bus.
- Put away the elbows: If you start being too aggressive, the entire crowd around the bus will rally against you to make sure that you don’t make it on the bus.
- Box people out: Feel free to practice this little passive aggressive method. Trust me, nobody will call you out for it. They’ll be mad, but nobody will ever say anything (unless drunk).
- Guess where the bus will stop: If you’re in a situation where you have to wait for a bus, then there will be tons of other people just milling around waiting for it too. You need to be one step ahead of them and take your position. The bus usually stops like five feet from the edge of the curb. Stand somewhere near there and you’ll get on the bus.
- Stand tall– Don’t let anybody box you out or cut in front of you. I mean you can do it to other people but the second somebody tries to do it to you, you need let them know that you won’t put up with it.
On the other hand, if you are in a situation where you have to run to catch the bus and there’s already a crowd around the door, you need to follow this diagram to see where to stand to get on the bus.
Even if none of these tips help you, then just remember, there’s always another bus coming….and that walking to class is always an option. Your choice.