Tips on How to Finish Out the Semester Strong
Well, we’re back. For some students, that’s no problem. They’ve been on their game all semester. Then there are the students who are still digesting their turkey and moaning about that project they put off until the bitter end.
If you happen to fall into the latter group then it’s go time. Put down the booze (for now anyway) and head to whatever living space you call your room. That’s going to be the place to start.
- Clean your desk off ~ Having maximum workspace at home will benefit you greatly, and you probably didn’t need that empty pack of gum or electric bill from two months ago.
- Make a list ~ Go through all of your syllabi and check out these last three weeks. The “Save it for Sunday” mentality might not be the best idea at this point either. If you can, start to map out when you can get certain things done. This will help you get a jump on finals. Prioritize.
- Organize…everything ~ Start getting notes from the same classes together. Make sure you have everything you need to do whatever work needs done.
However, I think most procrastinators need to get away from their dorms, houses and apartments for the last couple of weeks.
- Actually go to the library ~ Yes, that’s right. Walk in. It’s not that bad. That quiet atmosphere might be just what you need. If you’re a people-watcher, then maybe stay at home.
- Stay away from computers ~ I realize that you’re going to need to do a majority of work on some sort of computer. Try to get all of your other work done in a place where you won’t be tempted to Google something every 20 minutes though.
- Ask for help ~ If you’re extremely overwhelmed in more than one class, then go right ahead an seek assistance. It could be in the form of a classmate or professor. Don’t ever be ashamed of asking for help — sometimes it’s necessary.
Now that you think I’m a total wet blanket, let’s get into the social life.
- Go out when you can ~ There’s only a few more chances this semester (for seniors, this could be it). Don’t let your bar hopping crush your productivity. Maybe do your body a favor and not blackout as much.
- Plan something with your friends ~ Get everyone together for something before finals week. If you wait too long schedules are going to conflict. Plus, it’s about time to bust out those ugly sweaters.
- Utilize your free time ~ You’ll have some extra time on Saturday to do a few minor things now that the boys in blue have concluded their season. I’m not saying kill your whole Saturday…just a little something to take some of the burden off of Sunday.
Basically, your normal routine has gotten you where you are right now. If you’re comfortable with that fact, then keep trucking. If not, make a few changes. It’s not too late, but soon it will be. Finish strong.
Got any tips for finishing the semester strong? Tell us below or hit us up on twitter.
Your ad blocker is on.
Please choose an option below.
Purchase a Subscription!
About the Author
Want to be a part of the nation’s premier student-run media outlet? Want to have your words read or your pictures seen by hundreds of thousands of readers and social media followers? More importantly –do ya like having fun? Believe it or not, it’s that time again. Onward State is hiring for the spring semester and we’d […]
If you and your family are entering your last spring semester with a lot less coordination, there are some still some limited but available options for graduation day accommodations.
Send this to a friend