Music Monday: Songs to Spread Holiday Cheer
It’s December, and that means we’ll all be inundated with Christmas music soon enough. For this week’s Music Monday, the Onward State staff mixed things up a bit. Instead of focusing on five songs, this week we’re focusing on a large mix of songs for your upcoming ugly Christmas sweater parties, and to help get everybody into the holiday spirit. Don’t be a Grinch — break out the eggnog, and put some cheer in your life!
Let’s start off with the classics. These are Christmas staples played in everyone’s household, and are the songs that can warm even the smallest of hearts this holiday season. These are the songs and albums that you want to listen to when making Christmas cookies, or even decorating your humble abode. This list of songs also includes one of the best Christmas duets ever sung. If you don’t tear up or get goosebumps listening to these songs, something is terribly wrong with you.
- Little Drummer Boy/Peace on Earth by Bing Crosby and David Bowie
- Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy from the Nutcracker
- Christmas Eve/Sarajevo by Trans-Siberian Orchestra
- Hallelujah by Mannheim Steamroller
Next up are the songs for the children at heart. These are the fun songs from popular television shows and movies, or songs kids learn pretty quickly. Whenever you hear them, you instantly become five again, reliving the memories of what it was like to be a kid anxiously waiting for Christmas. They also are the songs that you sang ad nauseum over and over again until somebody told you to shut up.
- Hot Chocolate from The Polar Express
- The Very First Christmas by Spongebob and Friends
- Noel Song from Animaniacs
- The 8 Polish Foods of Christmas from VeggieTales
- I Want a Hippopotamus for Christmas
What do guilty pleasures, boybands, bubblegum pop, crazy outfits, and Christmas have in common? They’re all nostalgic songs that you still jam to today. Don’t lie, we know you faithfully break out the *NSYNC Christmas album each year and have singalongs! These songs are meant for the babies of the 80s and 90s, and okay, early 2000s too!
- All I Want for Christmas is You by Mariah Carey
- Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays by *NSYNC
- Christmas in Hollis by RUN-DMC
- Santa Claus Lane by Hilary Duff
- This Gift by 98 Degrees
The following group of songs are songs by popular artists in today’s day and age. They are more modern takes on traditional songs, but nonetheless still enjoyable. Some of these songs also feature some pretty awesome music videos that are definitely worth watching.
- God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen by August Burns Red
- Baby It’s Cold Outside by Darren Criss and Chris Colfer
- 12 Days of Christmas by Taking Back Sunday
- Sleigh Ride by fun.
- Christmas Lights by Coldplay
- Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer by William Hung
- Carol of the Meows by Guster
- Christmas Unicorn by Sufjan Stevens
- Another Christmas Song by Stephen Colbert
- Dick in a Box by The Lonely Island
If you are too lazy to make a Christmas playlist, check out the Spotify playlist below. It includes songs on this list, as well as full Christmas albums that almost made this list.
Are there any songs that you enjoy listening to over the holiday season? Let us know in the comments!
Your ad blocker is on.
Please choose an option below.
Purchase a Subscription!
About the Author
Do you yearn for cigarette ash-dusted grilled cheeses from “quintessential shithole” Grillers? Or a night out at G-Man with your old frat bros? Or have evenings of drinking felt incomplete ever since Canyon moved across Beaver and got rid of its sticky blue picnic tables?
It’s hard not to draw parallels between this year’s lacrosse team and a couple other Nittany Lion teams that have used the City of Brotherly Love as a launching pad to sustained success.
Send this to a friend