Inquirer: Education Secretary, BoT Member Ron Tomalis Leaving
According to the Philadelphia Inquirer, Ron Tomalis will be leaving his post as Governor Corbett’s Education Secretary. Tomalis also serves as an Ex Officio member of the Penn State Board of Trustees.
No timetable has been set for his departure, according to the Inquirer, but he is expected to stay until at least the July 1 deadline for getting the state budget passed. The next Board of Trustees meeting is set for July 12 at the Penn State Fayette campus.
The Inquirer’s sources say that “tension between him and some members of the governor’s inner circle” led to Tomalis’ decision.
For those of you keeping score at home (I’m looking at you PS4RS), Tomalis is the 14th trustee who was also a member on November 9, 2011 — the day the board decided to fire Joe Paterno and Graham Spanier — to leave the board, or to be on their way out. With only 30 voting trustees now, it has taken less than a year and a half for an almost 50 percent turnover in membership.
Here’s a quick rundown of the November 2011 board members who have moved on or are on the way out (in no particular order).
1. Ron Tomalis is leaving according to the Philadelphia Inquirer, although Governor Corbett will need to appoint a new Education Secretary to fill his board seat.
2. Tom Corbett no longer has a vote after bylaw changes stripped the PA governor of their voting power.
3. Graham Spanier was fired (and the Penn State President no longer has a vote).
4. Michael DiBerardinis was appointed by the governor. His term expired.
5. Alvin Clemens was appointed by the governor. His term expired, although he will continue to serve until Governor Corbett picks a replacement.
6. Stephanie Deviney lost the 2013 alumni election.
7. Paul Suhey lost the 2013 alumni election.
8. Steve Garban resigned in July.
9. David Jones didn’t run for reelection in the 2012 alumni election.
10. David Joyner was appointed as Athletic Director.
11. Anne Riley lost the 2012 alumni election.
12. Barron Hetherington didn’t seek another term from the agricultural societies.
13. Samuel Hayes didn’t seek another term from the agricultural societies.
14. John Surma didn’t seek another term from business and industry.
Your ad blocker is on.
Please choose an option below.
Purchase a Subscription!
About the Author
Want to be a part of the nation’s premier student-run media outlet? Want to have your words read or your pictures seen by hundreds of thousands of readers and social media followers?
“As we work together to make the impact as least disruptive as possible to our students and employees, we strongly urge Congress and the president to end this impasse.”
Send this to a friend