THON Captain Applications Are Now Live
It’s that time of year again! If you haven’t already seen the statuses and tweets, THON Captain applications are now open. Applications went live August 19th and are due online and in the THON office (210 HUB) on August 30th by 5 p.m.
Whether you are a previous Captain, Committee member, Org member or a brand spanking new freshman, applying for a Captain position is definitely something to consider. Not only will you gain some great leadership experience, but you have the opportunity to make the difference in the life of a child through the largest student run philanthropy in the world. Last year we gave you some Do’s and Don’ts for your application, but here are a few more from a has-been Family Relations Captain:
Use proper “nomenclature”: Always capitalize
OverallDirector, committee names, and Captain. Always capitalize all letters in THON. Bonus points if you use Gill Sans.
- Ask your reference before using them: I have been on the receiving end of phone calls asking about someone I haven’t worked with in two years. It’s awkward. Always give your reference a heads up so they can think of some nice things to say about you — hopefully they won’t have to think too hard.
- Proofread. A lot: There is no such thing as re-reading your application too many times, or getting too much feedback from friends and family. Just when you think your app is perfect, that’s when you will see the glaring grammar error you made in your very first sentence.
- Research: Reach out to past Captains, especially if you can talk to the person who previously held the position you are interested in. They will have the most valuable insight into what it takes to be in that position. Understand what you are applying for that way you will know what you are talking about if you get to the interview process.
- Apply for a position you don’t want: This is one of the biggest pitfalls. Always go with your heart and apply for the position you feel you will be able to make a real difference in. You don’t want to be stuck in a position you don’t feel is right for you from the beginning.
- Wait until the last minute to print your application: I know how stressful it is applying, and too many people make the mistake of waiting until 4:50 p.m. to print their application outside of the THON office. This is always when the ink runs out. Be prepared.
Most of all though: don’t stress. Put your heart into your application and take a deep breath after you turn in it. Good luck to everyone applying, and remember that it’s all FTK!
Your ad blocker is on.
Please choose an option below.
Purchase a Subscription!
About the Author
“Holy crap, it’s been 10 years? I’m old as hell!!”
Here’s everything you need to know — including media information, the weather, and injury updates — for Saturday’s game.
Send this to a friend