THON Urges Canners to Leave Saturday Due to Weather
THON sent out a series of emails today urging canners to use caution when traveling to their respective destinations due to a winter weather advisory.
Corbin Reno, THON’s Communications Director, sent the emails to all volunteers detailing a winter weather advisory for south central Pennsylvania calling for impending freezing rain from the Penn State Weather Risk Management Organization.
Reno originally advised volunteers to depart for the canning weekend after the winter weather advisory ended at 1 p.m. and before sundown at 4:43 p.m. in the interest of safety. However, changing weather patterns led Reno to send out two more emails this afternoon. In a third and final email, Reno sent out an updated version of the winter weather advisory, which has been extended to 5 p.m.
“We encourage volunteers to consider waiting until Saturday morning to leave State College if they are uncomfortable with Friday’s weather conditions,” Corbin wrote.
THON’s decision to schedule a canning weekend in December, a month prone to dangerous weather conditions is questionable in itself. The safety of all volunteers should be of the utmost importance, so at least the organization’s warnings are a step in the right direction.
Stay safe, THON volunteers.