Penn State news by
Penn State's student blog



Onward Stats: Monday Morning At The HUB Starbucks

No matter what you did this weekend (be it a crazy night out or an all-night Sunday study sesh), there’s only one thing you want on Monday morning: coffee. Sure you can power up the Keurig and brew some in your room, OR you could grab the cup of the coffee that’s guaranteed to make you say, “I’m going to have another sip of that!” after every sip: Starbucks.

If you’ve never experienced it for yourself, the HUB’s downstairs Starbucks is popping on a Monday morning. But have you ever wondered just how many cups the place turns out? After learning the details of a night at Canyon, we wondered this same thing, and that’s why this week I laced up my own white Converse and spent a few hours sitting by the caffeine joint to once again gather the Penn State statistics you really want to read.

464 tally marks and two-and-a-half hours later, here are some of the most interesting statistics from a Monday morning at the HUB Starbucks:

Average wait time: 6:37

Re-useable cups used: 11

Pumpkin spice lattes: 15

Toasted graham lattes, PSL’s new rival: 16

Plain coffee (i.e. they fill it up and give you your drink at the register): 26

Pairs of white Converse: 18

Most common name called out: Allie/Aly/Alli/Ali/it was probably spelled different every time anyway

Girls wearing vests over long sleeve t-shirts: 20

Times the line extended out of the queue and into the HUB: 5

Muggs (man Uggs): 1 (not enough, if you ask me)

People wearing flip-flops: 7

The temperature outside: 53 degrees! Are you people crazy?

Personal Segways/hoverboards in line: 1

Penn State dads: 1. He ordered just straight shots of espresso. How dad of him.

Cups of Starbucks beverages churned out: 397

Female customers: 298

Male customers: 99

For those of you who still need your Tuesday cup of coffee, that equates to 75 percent of customers being women and the remaining 25 percent being men. No children (i.e. anyone who appeared to be less than college-aged) came through while I was sitting there.

Most interestingly, this all means that the employees were pouring about 2.65 drinks every minute, or one every 22.6 seconds. That’s not too bad, considering what goes into some of the fancier ones.

People waiting in line who drank a Starbucks coffee: 397

People waiting in line who drank a Dunkin’ Donuts coffee while waiting to order and drink a Starbucks coffee: 1

Also, here’s what was pumping over the speakers throughout the morning, in order:

Oh, here’s one more stat I almost forgot about!

Girls with insane amounts of willpower: 1, that would be me. I somehow sat at Starbucks for two-and-a-half hours and didn’t get anything to drink. I think I’m getting sick, someone take my temperature.

Your ad blocker is on.

Please choose an option below.

Sign up for our e-mail newsletter:
Support quality journalism:
Purchase a Subscription!

About the Author

Lexi Shimkonis

Lexi is an editor-turned-staff writer who can often be found at either Irving's or the Phyrst (with the chances she'll have her backpack being the same). Lexi is a senior hailing from Spring City, PA (kind of) and studying Civil Engineering. Please email questions and/or pleas for an Instagram caption to [email protected], or for a more intimate bond, follow her on Twitter @lexshimko.

Follow on Another Platform
State College Links
Other posts by Lexi

A Special, Precious, & Eventful Experience: Lexi Shimkonis’ Senior Column

“And here in this lovely, intriguing spot called Penn State, each of us staked our own special, precious, and eventful life.” — Ross Lehman

Homecoming To Replace King And Queen With Gender-Neutral Court

[Video] An Interview With Line Dance Leader Gina DeFrancesco

No. 11 Penn State Survives, Downs Northwestern 17-7

The Nittany Lions grinded through some ugly weather to advance to 5-0 on the season.

No. 11 Penn State Survives, Downs Northwestern 17-7

The Nittany Lions grinded through some ugly weather to advance to 5-0 on the season.

Gameday Coverage: No. 11 Penn State vs. Northwestern

Get ready for some ugly weather in Happy Valley.

Staff Predictions: No. 11 Penn State vs. Northwestern

Our staffers believe Penn State will remain undefeated in conference play after Saturday’s contest.

Send this to a friend