Avoid The Crash: Curbing The Urge To Drink Caffeine At THON
Whether you’re a dancer on the floor or a spectator in the stands, spending any extended amount of time at the BJC during THON can get tiring. While caffeine may be a good short-term solution, it will definitely end up working against you in the long-run.
Iced coffees and sugary sodas may taste refreshing and give you a quick boost, but you’ll certainly be regretting it a few hours later when you crash. Here are a few substitutes that will help to keep you going caffeine-free:
- Water – Although this may seem obvious, dehydration is the biggest cause of fatigue. The Bryce Jordan Center is full of salty meals and snacks, including soft pretzels, pizza, and french fries. The best thing you can do to keep yourself feeling alert is to balance it out with some water.
- Fruit – Full of vitamins and water, fruit is the perfect food to eat. It will leave a better taste in your mouth than most fattening foods will and it will help you avoid the sluggish feeling that comes shortly after eating heavy food. However, fruit may be hard to find at the BJC, so you better pack ahead.
- Herbal Tea – Herbs such as ginseng can give you an energy boost that won’t be followed by such a drastic crash hours later. Herbal teas are full of natural energy boosters that are ultimately much better for you.
- Protein Bars – Adding protein into your diet can help you focus better, improve your mood, and increase your energy. It will make it easier for your sore muscles to rebuild so that you can keep on going.
- Chew Gum – Chewing anything or being constantly moving will help you stay awake. The act of chewing may cause your body to release insulin, which will make you more alert.
- Stay Away From The Heat – Being warm and cozy just makes you want to fall asleep. Although it may be hard to get away from the heat in the BJC, take breaks away from your section if it is getting too hot.
- Keep Moving – Standing still won’t do you any good. If you’re packed somewhere in the stands, taking a few trips around the BJC to stretch your legs and get the blood flowing will probably make you feel a little bit better. While it may be tempting to stay put because you want to be near your friends or you don’t want to lose your spot, walking around will be better for your body.
- Wash Your Face – As simple as it sounds, splashing some cold water in your face will, in fact, wake you up. Washing your face will help you feel less dirty and therefore, less exhausted.