The Best Penn State Thing Bracket: The Championship
Well folks, this is it.
We started at 64 things, and we’re down to two. Happy Valley monuments such as the Berkey Creamery, Mike the Mailman, and the Whiteout are gone. Thanks to your votes, we’ve narrowed it down to the top two Penn State Things. Your championship matchup is predictable, but impossible to decide: Joe Paterno vs. the Nittany Lion.
Joe Paterno’s Path to the Final:
- 69.4% (2391 votes) over Beaver Stadium (1054 votes)
- 81.9% (2685 votes) over Mike the Mailman (594 votes)
- 87.6% (3426 votes) over Keegan-Michael Key (486 votes)
- 85.8% (3591 votes) over Terry Pegula (596 votes)
- 96.3% (3848 votes) over Rick Santorum (146 votes)
- Final statistics: 15,941 votes for, 2,876 against, 84.7% of the total vote.
The Nittany Lion’s Path to the Final:
- 53% (1837 votes) over THON (1627 votes)
- 50.4% (1621 votes) over the “We Are” chant (1598 votes)
- 84.3% (3375 votes) over Penn State dads (629 votes)
- 86.2% (2948 votes) over Paternoville (470 votes)
- 96.4% (3422 votes) over “Penn State Lives Here” (127 votes)
- Final statistics: 13,203 votes for, 4,451 against, 74.8% of the total vote.
There’s no doubt, Joe Paterno has been the most dominant performer throughout the competition — his closest win was by more than 1,300 votes. The Nittany Lion did feature the largest win of the competition though, a 3,295 vote demolition of “Penn State Lives Here” in the first round. This is, realistically, impossible to pick. Joe Paterno has done so much for Penn State, but he faces the only thing that can really give him a challenge: The Symbol of Our Best.
It’s up to you who wins. Vote with your heart, vote with your head, vote however you want. Just vote. It’s your duty as an American.