PS4RS Launches ‘Legacy Initiative’ Including Student Scholarships
Penn Staters for Responsible Stewardship announced the creation of what they are calling the “Legacy Initiative.” The organization will award scholarships to Penn State students with three key phrases in mind: We Are, Success with Honor, and For the Glory.
The Legacy Initiative is described as a non-profit cooperation designed to guard the legacy of Penn State. According to the venture’s website, the goals of the Legacy Initiative include:
- furthering the educational objectives of the Pennsylvania State University
- fostering alumni connections to help maintain the University’s culture of integrity and camaraderie
- enhancing the University’s positive image and reputation by:
• supporting various alumni initiatives to review and disseminate important information relating to or affecting the University’s public image and reputation;
• monitoring the University’s operational and educational activities and communicating with students, faculty, staff and alumni to keep them appropriately informed about relevant University matters; and
• raising charitable donations to create scholarships for deserving University students
“The mission of the Legacy Initiative is to ensure that philosophies such as ‘We Are’…’Success with Honor’…’For the Glory’– the very culture of OUR university – are preserved for future generations of Penn Staters,” Executive Director Maribeth Roman Schmidt said. “We are proud that our scholarships will recognize those students who share our desire to guard – and grow — the legacy of OUR Penn State.”
Though a brain child of PS4RS, the Legacy Initiative will operate as a charitable entity completely separate from PS4RS that will also serve as an educational resource.
In that vein, part of the Legacy Initiative will include four scholarships, each for $5,000, that will be awarded to current Penn State undergraduate and graduate students. The application for these scholarships consists of one 1,500-word essay responding to the question, “What does ‘Success with Honor’ mean to you and how do you demonstrate this ideal in your daily life?” because of course that’s the question.
Applicants must also provide both a high school and college transcript, a description of extra-curriculars including work experience and any volunteering, and a letter of recommendation that validates the contents of the 1,500-word essay. Applications are due by November 17 and must be submitted electronically. You can find the application here and return it to [email protected].
The winners of the scholarships will be determined by a five-person selection committee that will take into account all aspects of the application. Winners will be notified by December 10 and will be able to apply the scholarship to the spring 2017 semester.
“Considering today’s cost of higher education, these awards are meant to make a real difference in a Penn State student’s experience,” Board member Dr. James Smith said. “Through the continued generosity of our supporters, we look forward to granting more and more Legacy Initiative scholarships to strengthen the common bonds shared by all Penn Staters.”