Nittany Lions In The NFL: Week 12 Roundup
This week’s NFL games saw many former Nittany Lions stars put up great performances as their teams fought for a spot in the playoffs entering December.
With all eyes on the NFL this Thanksgiving, let’s take a look at how former Penn Staters fared in week 12.
Similar to his days in Happy Valley, Oweh seems to be at his best in big moments. After turning in solid performances in prime time multiple times this season, the rookie edge rusher didn’t disappoint in the Baltimore Ravens’ 16-10 win over the Cleveland Browns on Sunday Night Football. Oweh finished the game with two tackles to go along with a sack and a forced fumble.
In his first career Thanksgiving game, the Parsons showed out. Despite the Dallas Cowboys’ 36-33 loss to the Las Vegas Raiders, Parsons once again stood out for the much improved Cowboys defense, recording five tackles and a sack. The sack, his ninth of the season, already broke the Cowboys’ singles-season sack record for a rookie in just 11 games.
It has been another disastrous season for the Detroit Lions, who are still looking for their first win of the season after losing on Thanksgiving to the Chicago Bears 16-14.
Despite the lost season for the Lions, former Nittany Lions Amani Oruwariye is having a very solid third year in the NFL. No stranger to Thanksgiving games, Oruwariye recorded two tackles and a very timely interception of Bears quarterback Andy Dalton just before halftime.
Unlike his team, Freiermuth over the last month has been steadily improving and establishing himself as a red zone favorite for Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. For the second straight game, Freiermuth hauled in four passes and a touchdown.
Former Penn State star and third-year NFL veteran Kevin Givens played a big role in the San Francisco 49ers’ 34-26 win over the Minnesota Vikings on Sunday. Givens finished with two tackles, including a big forced fumble of Vikings running back Dalvin Cook.
For the first time in his young NFL career, former Nittany Lions edge rusher Shaka Toney recorded a sack for the Washington Football Team. On the Seahawks’ final drive, Toney sacked a scrambling Russell Wilson to push Seattle back for a long second down attempt.
Toney added two tackles to his total as the Washington Football Team held on to beat the Seattle Seahawks 17-15 on Monday Night Football.
- Saquon Barkley rushed 13 times for 40 yards and hauled in four passes for 13 yards in the Giants’ 13-7 win over the Philadelphia Eagles.
- Barkley wasn’t the only former Nittany Lion to have an impact in the Giants big win over the Eagles. Defensive tackle Austin Johnson recorded four tackles and a half a sack in the victory.
- Adrian Amos recorded four tackles, including a big fourth down stop, for the Green Bay Packers in their 36-28 win over the Los Angeles Rams.
- Carolina Panthers defensive tackles and eight-year veteran DaQuan Jones recorded five tackles in the Panthers’ blowout 33-10 loss to the Miami Dolphins.
- Former Nittany Lions special teams standout and current Los Angeles Rams safety Nick Scott recorded five tackles to go along with a pass defended in the Rams loss in Green Bay on Sunday.
- Miles Sanders racked up 64 rushing yards on just nine attempts in Philadelphia’s loss to the New York Giants.
Your ad blocker is on.
Please choose an option below.
Purchase a Subscription!
About the Author
“Look forward, but also look around you. Be all in wherever you find yourself, and don’t waste too much time thinking about what’s next.”
Sean Clifford undoubtedly has a hold on the starting quarterback gig, but a crowded backfield will leave James Franklin and Co. with some tough decisions.
Freiermuth may call Pittsburgh his home now, but he still hasn’t forgotten his roots.