Nittany Lions In The NFL: Week 16 Recap
With playoff races heating up around the league, the NFL is getting intense down the stretch. Naturally, that leads to more impressive performances from Nittany Lions across the country.
From Micah Parsons sacks to Blake Gillikin punts, here’s a quick look at how Penn State’s NFL representatives fared this weekend.
Adrian Amos had a very quiet but consistent game on Christmas Day when he helped the Green Bay Packers defeat the Cleveland Browns 24-22. Totaling five tackles the whole game, Amos and Green Bay’s secondary were able to grab four interceptions to improve to 12-3 on the year.
Despite New Orleans’ offensive struggles over the past few weeks, Blake Gillikin has been a shining spot for the Saints during then. The second-year punter kicked seven punts Monday night for 316 yards as New Orleans fell to the Dolphins 20-3. Two of his punts were pinned inside Miami’s 20-yard line, and he had a 54-yard punt during the game, too.
While he had just three tackles and a sack, Micah Parsons continued to play like one of the top defenders in the game this weekend. He helped lead the Cowboys to a 56-14 blowout win over the Washington Football Team.
Parsons recorded his 13th sack of the season against Washington, moving him into sixth place in the league. Additionally, Parsons is the *only* player in the NFL over the past nine years to post at least 13 tackles and 79 total tackles.
A season of struggles continued when Barkley totaled only 32 rushing yards on 15 carries. New York’s lack of a run game (and any offensive game, honestly) contributed to a 34-10 loss to the Philadelphia Eagles.
In the same game, Miles Sanders fared a little bit better than his Penn State teammate in Barkley. Sanders totaled 45 rushing yards on seven carries and three receiving yards off of one catch. However, Sanders suffered a hand fracture that will force him out of at least next weekend’s matchup with Washington.
The San Francisco kicker made all three of his kicks Thursday night in the 49ers’ 20-17 loss to the Tennessee Titans. Gould converted two extra points and a 48-yard field goal, but it wasn’t enough to help the 49ers get the win.
- Miami Dolphins tight end Mike Gesicki had another down week, totaling 22 receiving yards on three receptions during the Dolphins’ 20-3 Monday night win over the New Orleans Saints.
- Yetur Gross-Matos posted three tackles (two for a loss) during the Carolina Panthers’ blowout 32-6 loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.
- Odafe Oweh posted one tackle in the Baltimore Ravens’ blowout loss to the Cincinnati Bengals.
- One week after his first ever career touchdown, Detroit Lions fullback Jason Cabinda totaled just six yards on two receptions during his team’s 20-16 loss to the Atlanta Falcons.
- Rams defensive back Nick Scott and Raiders defensive end Carl Nassib both recorded three tackles during their week 16 wins on Sunday.
Your ad blocker is on.
Please choose an option below.
Purchase a Subscription!
About the Author
We dance in 275, Penn State!
We dance in 275, Penn State!
Underwood is bringing her “The Denim & Rhinestones” tour to Happy Valley next spring.
“Jana Marie Foundation harnesses the power of creative expression and dialogue to spark conversations, build connections, and promote mental well-being among young people and their communities.”