The Three-Quarter Turn: Go! State! Beat! Orange!
The Three-Quarter Turn is a new feature here at Onward State. Named after the signature Blue Band Pregame 270 degree right hand turn technique, this segment will report on what the Blue Band is bringing to Beaver Stadium and Penn State every week. From performance schedules to half-time show themes to special news coverage, The Three-Quarter Turn has got you covered.
For this week’s game against the Syracuse Orange, the Blue Band has got some great tunes to keep you rockin’ in your seat. The following is a timeline of Blue Band performances throughout the day for this coming Saturday:
- 7:00- Blue Band Rehearsal begins on the practice field on Services Road. Extra points go to tailgaters who arrive early enough to see the Blue Band run through their Pregame and halftime shows.
- 9:35- The Blue Band parades down University Drive to the Bryce Jordan Center in preparation for TailGreat. Be sure to watch the world famous Blue Band parade dance and listen for the Fight Song Medley.
- 10:00- Blue Band performs at TailGreat in the Bryce Jordan Center. Expect to hear Blue Band standards from the Pregame show and highlights from the halftime show.
- 11:00- The Blue Band Parades down Curtin Road to Beaver Stadium. If you are in the stadium already, check out the band from the outside railings of the stadium as they disappear into the depths of the Beav.
- 11:45(ish)- The Blue Band takes the field for the world famous Pregame Show. Drum Major Matt Sabo will make both of his flips. The crowd will go wild.
- Halftime- In keeping with the throwback theme of gameday, the Blue Band will be performing hits from the 60’s. Listen for The Age of Aquarius/Let The Sunshine In, Respect, and The Long And Winding Road accompanying razor accurate marching.
- Final Score- Penn State Nittany Lions 51, Syracuse Orange 7.
- 12:00-4:00(ish)- At the end of the game, the Blue Band will take the field for a postgame show. Be sure to move over to the alumni side of the stadium so you can hear the band well. The Band will perform songs from their halftime show as well as the traditional “Lion Special” arrangement of Penn State Fight Songs. Also stick around for the Drumline performance. It is a true treat to see the heart of the Blue Band by themselves.
The Stately Inquisitor asked me to ask all you Onward Staters out there what your favorite gameday Blue Band performance is. So, please leave a comment below so he doesn’t bother me about the lack of comments on my posts.