The Three-Quarter Turn: Sweet Caroline
The Three-Quarter Turn is a new feature here at Onward State. Named after the signature Blue Band Pregame 270 degree right hand turn technique, this segment will report on what the Blue Band is bringing to Beaver Stadium and Penn State every week. From performance schedules to half-time show themes to special news coverage, The Three-Quarter Turn has got you covered.
Since the Temple game is another noon kickoff, the Blue Band performance schedule will remain largely the same as the past two games. Side note: why can’t we make these non-Big Ten games 3:30 kickoffs? Everyone gets more sleep and extra time to tailgate.
- 7:00- Blue Band Rehearsal begins on the practice field on Services Road. Extra points go to tailgaters who arrive early enough to see the Blue Band run through their Pregame and halftime shows.
- 9:35- The Blue Band parades down University Drive to the Bryce Jordan Center in preparation for TailGreat. Be sure to watch the world famous Blue Band parade dance and listen for the Fight Song Medley.
- 10:00- Blue Band performs at TailGreat in the Bryce Jordan Center. Expect to hear Blue Band standards from the Pregame show and highlights from the halftime show.
- 11:00- The Blue Band Parades down Curtin Road to Beaver Stadium. If you are in the stadium already, check out the band from the outside railings of the stadium as they disappear into the depths of the Beav.
- 11:45(ish)- The Blue Band takes the field for the world famous Pregame Show. Drum Major Matt Sabo will make both of his flips. The crowd will go wild.
- Halftime- This week’s show features hits from world-famous artist Neil Diamond. Listen for Diamond’s hits like America, Brother Love’s Traveling Salvation Show, and I’m A Believer. For the final song of the show, the Blue Band will locate themselves near the student section and play a Beaver Stadium favorite- Sweet Caroline. Make sure to sing along.
- Final Score- Penn State Nittany Lions 31, Temple Owls 3.
- 12:00-4:00(ish)- At the end of the game, the Blue Band will take the field for a postgame show. Be sure to move over to the alumni side of the stadium so you can hear the band well. The Band will perform songs from their halftime show as well as the traditional “Lion Special” arrangement of Penn State Fight Songs. Also stick around for the Drumline performance. It is a real treat to see the heart of the Blue Band perform alone.
[Picture Credit: Steve Sharer]
Your ad blocker is on.
Please choose an option below.
Purchase a Subscription!
About the Author
If you want to get spooky with it this Halloween season, you’ll definitely want to check out these nearby attractions.
Halloween fun returns to Penn State with the Arboretum’s annual Pumpkin Festival.
Send this to a friend