Homecoming Parade Tips
The Penn State Homecoming Parade will begin at 6:00 PM on October 16th. Here are a few tips for you:
- Get a place along the parade route early. The sidewalks are packed full of people along the entire parade route. For guidance on finding a location to sit, visit Onward State’s map of the 1.6 mile parade route.
- Bring folding chairs if sitting on a curb or standing for a long time doesn’t work for you.
- Place your folding chairs where you want to sit a few hours before the parade starts and head downtown to eat dinner and stay warm. Proceed to your seats before the parade. Do not assume your chairs will be there upon your return.
- Dress warm. It’s going to pretty cold, even by PA standards. Expect a high of 35 and a low of 32 with precipitation of some kind.
- Ideal parade-viewing locations are on corners where the route makes a turn. Also, most of the route before the grandstands at Allen Street on College Avenue will be a prime viewing location.
- Cheer really loud when floats, teams and bands pass you. Help make it as fun for them as they make it for you.
- Bring friends and family. The more the merrier.
- Head to the Pep Rally in Alumni Hall in the HUB immediately after the parade to see the coronation of the homecoming King and Queen.
What’s your favorite part of the parade? I’m pretty partial to the Blue Band performance during the parade.