Last Call: UPUA Gets Stuff Done
With spring break and election season approaching quickly, the businesses conducted at last night’s UPUA meeting will be the basis for at least the next month of the assembly’s governance.
The first item on last night’s agenda was a resolution regarding funding for the Spring Academic Council Conference. On Thursday, March 18 the Academic Affairs Committee of UPUA will host a conference with the purpose of bringing representative of every academic student council together and discuss their council’s goals and status for the upcoming semester. This discussion will also include Associate Deans from the various academic units and representatives from the Office of Undergraduate Education.
Another debate was held on the Smart Gaming Room concept, which was met with many different reactions and a fair amount of resistance. Some representatives discussed building a new computer lab in the HUB instead (ever tried to find a computer in the HUB?). The vote was pushed back and more discussion is yet to be seen on what UPUA would like to do in the space that is currently occupied by the Corner Pocket. I say that we install a stress room!
Now….drumroll please. Last night, some more details about the UPUA spring concert were revealed to the Penn State world. Wallypalooza’s name has officially changed to: LAST CALL. Some details for this concert are as follows:
- $45,000 are going to spent to bring in artists to Penn State
- UPUA is working closely with Roustabout to bring artists to Penn State
- The festival date is set for the 30th of April
- The LION 90.7fm, UPUA’s co-sponsor for the event is looking for additional UPAC funding.
- Corporate sponsorships are being sought out.
- UPUA are attempting to bring in “notable artists” for Last Call
Other things that were discussed tonight:
- Progress is being made on the freshman handbook
- Money was allocated for the UPUA elections budget
- Alex Shovlin was appointed Deputy Elections Commissioner for IT and Nick Mance was elected Elections Commissioner
- A package is being created for the Borough Council regarding the Nuisance Gathering and Lighting discussions
- CATA bus ridership is doing very well
- Marketing expenses for BookExchange 2.0 were passed
It seems that UPUA is having a fantastic term. I feel that they are accurately representing the voice of the student body and making sure our money is used for the right purposes. Moreover, it seems likely to me that Last Call will be a solid event given that the entire planning team has learned from last year’s mistakes.
Your ad blocker is on.
Please choose an option below.
Purchase a Subscription!
About the Author
After scoring only two goals in the first half, TJ Malone and the Nittany Lions came back to win in sudden death overtime.
Dane Dowiak’s two goals guided the Nittany Lions to win a close game in Columbus.
The Nittany Lions coughed up a 23-point lead in the final road game of the regular season.