UPUA Elections: UPUA Interns Staying Involved
This fall, the University Park Undergraduate Association (UPUA) created an internship program to get freshman students familiar with the politics and Robert’s Rules of student government. It looks like the program was a success, as many freshman interns are currently looking to extend their involvement with UPUA by getting elected to a representative position.
UPUA Chief of Staff Matt Smith lead the interns in their weekly meetings and tried to teach them about the university in various ways, including exploring archives, studying how the faculty senate functions, and working with UPUA officials in various capacities.
Now, the following interns are running for election:
- Steven Burkholder (Off Campus Rep)
- Lienard Chang (On Campus Rep)
- Colleen Cannon (On Campus Rep)
- Anthony Christina (At Large Rep)
- Ali Cook (Off Campus Rep)
- Tonia Demiano (DUS Rep)
- Jill Seifrit (On Campus Rep)
- Tyler Doppelheuer (On Campus Rep)
- Chirag Panchal (On Campus Rep)
- Leslie Pinero (College of Communications)
- Maggie Quinn (Off Campus Rep)
At the beginning of the term, each intern wrote a piece of draft legislation they hoped could be enacted by the UPUA. Now, at the end of the term, the interns have come together to mutually support a few goals:
- Improve relations between the Borough Council and students
- Improve relations between the faculty and students
- Improving availability and exposure between UPUA and the students
- Improve the downtown housing information
- Improve relations between the off campus students and landlords
- Release the student handbook
- Increase student programming
- Continue the Intern program
- Continue growing Encampment
- Promote student safety
- Lower tuition!
The interns have not, as a group, endorsed a candidate.
Your ad blocker is on.
Please choose an option below.
Purchase a Subscription!
About the Author
In a statement sent to Onward State, Julia Cipparulo claimed to have vandalized several Penn State campus landmarks, including the Lion Shrine, on May 8.
State Representative Introduces Amendment To Require Penn State To Report Location Of Joe Paterno Statue
If ratified, the amendment would require Penn State to disclose the statue’s location and condition to the general public.
Nittany Lions old and new have received new jersey numbers ahead of the 2022 season.