50 Stats for Saturday: Northwestern
After a short hiatus, 50 stats for Saturday is back! Penn State is coming off an emotional beatdown of Illinois and plays a very solid Northwestern team this week. We found some interesting things this week, and we hope you enjoy the plethora of the useless information.
Without further adieu, here are your 50 stats for Northwestern
1. Penn State has outscored opponents 49-0 in the first quarter.
2. And is beating the opposition 76-9 in the 1st half.
3. The Nittany Lions are averaging 42 penalty yards a game.
4. Daryll Clark is Penn State’s all-time leader in touchdown passes.
5. He had 43 passing touchdowns
6. Matt McGloin currently has 32 passing touchdowns.
7. If McGloin averages 2 passing touchdowns over the next seven games, he’ll become Penn State’s all-time leader.
8. Also, McGloin has three 300-yard passing games in his career.
9. He needs one more to tie Kerry Collins for the all-time lead.
10. This was Illini student section with six minutes remaining in the 4th quarter.
11. Despite a quiet game from Allen Robinson, still lead the Big Ten in catches (32).
12. And receiving yards (439).
13. Justin Brown has 12 catches for 135 yards.
14. Ohio and Virginia were 22 for 36 (61%) on 3rd down vs. Penn State to start the season.
15. During the past three games, Penn State has allowed opponents to convert just 11 of 42 (22%) 3rd downs.
16. Michael Mauti technically led all receivers last week with 105 interception yards.
17. He’s been named Big Ten Defensive Player of the Week for two of the last three weeks.
18. Matt McGloin has twice as many rushing touchdowns (4) as Zach Zwinak, Bill Belton, Derek Day Mike Zordich, and Curtis Dukes have combined (2).
19. McGloin has only one less rushing touchdown than Silas Redd.
20. Northwestern quarterback Kain Colter had four rushing touchdowns last week vs. Indiana.
21. When Colter lines up at another position, Trevor Siemian plays quarterback.
22. Siemian is completing 69% of his passes this season.
23. Over the past two games, Zach Zwinak is averaging over 5 yards a carry.
24. He also led the team in rushing yards and carries in both games.
25. Penn State only converted 4 of 7 redzone opportunities vs. Illinois.
26. The Nittany Lion defense is holding opponents to less than 14 points a game.
27. That slots them as 14th best scoring defense in the country.
28. Northwestern has scored at least 22 points in every game.
29. The Wildcats have also scored points in the first quarter of every game.
30. For three consecutive weeks, Penn State has run more plays on the ground than through the air.
31. On 1st down, Penn State ran the ball 25 of 34 times (74%) vs. Illinois.
32. On 2nd down, Bill O’Brien elected to run it 19 of 29 times (66%).
The last time Northwestern came to Happy Valley Joe Paterno celebrated his 400th win.
McGloin threw for 225 yards and 4 touchdowns that night.
35. Sam Ficken has made two field goals all season in eight attempts
36. Wildcats kicker Jeff Budzien has made four field goals beyond forty yards.
37. He has not missed an attempt all year (11-11).
38. Northwestern last beat Penn State in 2004.
39. Pat Fitzgerald, the current head coach was the Wildcats linebackers coach.
40. Fourteen years ago, Fitzgerald worked for Penn State linebackers coach Ron Vanderlinden at Maryland.
41. Northwestern averaged 256 rushing yards a game, good for 8th nationally.
42. Starting running back Venric Mark averages 107.6 of those yards and has five rushing touchdowns.
43. Mark also returns punts and kickoffs including an 82 yard punt return for a touchdown.
44. Being 5-0 is nothing new for Northwestern.
45. They had that record in 2008 and 2010.
46. They never made it to 6-0 in either of those years.
47. Colter and Siemian have combined to throw two interceptions this season.
48. No members of Penn State’s secondary have an interception yet.
49. And here it is, folks…
50. The updated Sam Ficken spray chart:
Drew Balis also contributed to this fine piece of journalism.