10 Costumes You’ll See Everywhere This Year
Halloween in itself can be a high-pressure situation. What are you going to dress up as? Which slutty animal? Which slutty superhero? Did you get a costume yet? How many costumes? The questions are seemingly endless. Girls and guys will be frolicking around State College in costumes throughout this weekend and maybe even next…because really, Halloween is on a Wednesday this year. When are we celebrating?
Every year there are extremely original costumes, cliché costumes, scary costumes, sexy and innuendo costumes, some that are hilarious, and some that are downright ridiculous. Here is what I presume will be the most worn costumes based on extensive research (Google) and an analysis of pop culture from the 2012 year.
For all you studs out there:
- PSY –Will you be hitting up College Ave. Gangnam Style this year? The Korean rapper became a YouTube phenomenon over night. For what reason besides his crazy dance moves, I can’t tell you. He reminds me of William Hung a little bit but that’s just me. Anyways, grab a brightly colored suit jacket, sunglasses, saddle shoes, and black pants. Make sure you download the song onto your iPhone…(Can blackberries even have music?) and play it at opportune moments. Optional Accessory: group of backup dancers.
- Lance Armstrong – The “dopest” of all the Tour de France winners. Oh wait; you won’t have to lug around seven trophies so your hands will be free for boozing. Just wear some tight black and yellow spandex attire, helmet and carry around Livestrong bracelets. Optional Accessories: Bike and blood bag.
- Prince Harry – Just put on your royal birthday suit and you are ready to go! The royals have been quite scandalous this year with their nudity. You don’t need to be in Vegas to strip down. Optional Accessory: Pool stick. Partner Costume: Duchess Katherine topless.
- Breaking Bad – Even though this show has been on for five seasons, it has currently been buzzing around social media as one of the best shows on television. Even though he will always be the Dad from Malcolm in the Middle to me, to become Walter White — just grab a yellow HAZMAT suit complete with gas mask, shave your head, grow a goatee, and get some old school aviator glasses. Don’t forget your blue crystal meth! (Cotton Candy flavored Rock candy…mmm) Partner Costume: Grab a friend to be Jesse! While you could go the yellow HAZMAT route to be all matchy-matchy, Jesse just wears a beanie, baggy jeans, graphic tee and a sweatshirt. And we know all you smokers on campus won’t forget the cigarette.
- TED – Arguably one of the funniest movies of the summer, Mark Wahlberg and Seth McFarlane were an unbeatable combo. You can either dress up as John Bennett with khakis, white button down and striped tie, and carry a stuffed buddy, or the actual bear (Ted Costume). This is definitely a great two-person costume. Optional Accessories: Bong, Beer bottle (easy to drink out of), and a Boston accent.
Now for all the ladies:
- Honey Boo Boo Child – This toddler in a tiara has been making headlines with her ridiculous family. You’d better redneckognize and dress up like her. Just wear a lot of makeup, a pink leotard and tutu, tiara, and carry around a pink pig named Glitzy. Pig is not included and try not to dumpster dive. If you run around extreme couponing with your mom you get a bonus point.
- Tanning Mom – She’s gross but still somehow made it big this year, so just get wrinkly and spray yourself orange. Just don’t bring kids with you into the tanning booth.
- McKayla Maroney is Not Impressed – This American Olympian gymnast made the Internet explode with memes. Even though winning silver is an amazing feat, McKayla seemed to have a scowl when photographed. Throw on a leotard, grey Nike tracksuit, flowers, a SILVER medal, grey scrunchie, and that signature side scowl. Group Effort: Be the entire Fab 5 Olympian Gymnastic Team
- Katniss Everdeen – The Hunger Games movie blew up and Jennifer Lawrence was the perfect representation of Katniss. You’ll definitely want to wear her arena fighting costume. Get a black leather jacket, cargo pants, combat boots, bow and arrow set, and a mocking jay pin. Putting your hair in a braid is a must. Just don’t fight your friends to death for a piece of bread.
- Something Slutty – Whether its a cat, mouse or fairy, you will just be wearing something risqué, paired with glitter, wings and a tutu. Just try to class it up this year. You could always go as Kristen Stewart, the trampire.
Finally, besides McKayla and other meme ideas, between the Presidential debates and conventions, Mitt Romney has created so many opportune costumes. Grab a bunch of your friends and become binders of women, or give PBS a run for its money by being Big Bird, which also comes in a sexy version.
For those in a couple, my picks are Kim & Kanye, which includes black and white opposing outfits, and Nike kicks. They could be seen hanging out with Beyonce & Jay-Z cuddling a little Blue Ivy.
What costumes are you expecting to see this year?
Your ad blocker is on.
Please choose an option below.
Purchase a Subscription!
About the Author
After a fundraising year that included no canning and banned events outside of State College, THON 2020 culminated with the announcement that $11,696,942.38 had been raised For The Kids.
Our staffers have strong feelings about State College’s pizza places.
Send this to a friend