Get to Know the SOMA Arts Crawl
In a town dominated by athletics and academics, the arts culture of Penn State rarely sees the spotlight of public interest. Penn State’s Students Organizing the Multiple Arts hopes to bring arts to the forefront for one day a year. In collaboration with several arts organizations, SOMA’s Arts Crawl will take over North Campus tomorrow afternoon for a day-long celebration of arts and creativity in the State College community.
With over 20 bands, and tons of art exhibitions all over North Campus, the Arts Crawl can seem a little daunting. To make sure you make the most of your visit, here’s a breakdown of what will be featured tomorrow afternoon.
- The Pennsylvania Arts Education Association will be hosting a children’s craft session in 103 Visual Arts Building.
- The Penn State Clay Club will be working on projects and featuring original work in the Ceramics Building.
- The Student Film Organization will be showing student films all afternoon in Palmer Museum.
- Unabridged (the Penn State Association of English Majors) will host an open poetry session in the Gallery Café. Anyone can sign up to read poetry between acoustic sets performed by local musicians.
- The Sculpture Club will feature exhibits in 307 Visual Arts Building throughout the day.
- Patterson Gallery will feature student art exhibitions, as well as host live music to go along with the artwork.
The Arts Crawl will feature tons of local musicians, as well as the headliner, WHY?, who will play at 7:30 p.m. in the Visual Arts Building. Here’s a list of all the bands scheduled to perform. (Disclaimer: This list may be subject to change.)
- Keegan Tawa (State College, PA)
- Flashback Forward (State College, PA)
- The Infected Flies (Perkasie, PA)
- Peacefeather (State College, PA)
- Parlormint (Old Bridge, NJ)
- Think Twice, Dublin (State College, PA)
- Brontide (Perkasie, PA)
- Faults (State College, PA)
- Lenina Crowne (State College, PA)
- Sad South Italy (Perkasie/Pittsburgh, PA)
- Sharleen Chidiac (State College, PA)
- Swiss Alps (State College, PA)
- Andrew McHenry (State College, PA)
- Ambeyonce (State College, PA)
- Pantomime Dame (State College, PA)
- Ouchy Mouchy (Philadelphia, PA)
- Ellen Siberian-Tiger (Boston, MA)
- Emmersed (State College, PA)
- The Gay Republicans (State College, PA)
- The Skin Cells (West Chester/Philadelphia, PA)
- Anchorhead (Perkasie, PA)
- Mumblr (Philadelphia, PA)
This is a really long list of bands, and even the most dedicated music lovers won’t be able to see all of them. These performances will be spread over seven different locations throughout North Campus. But don’t worry, Onward State has you covered! Make sure you follow Onward State’s live blog of the SOMA Arts Crawl to get up to the minute updates, interviews, photo galleries, videos, and more.
Your ad blocker is on.
Please choose an option below.
Purchase a Subscription!
About the Author
Want to be a part of the nation’s premier student-run media outlet? Want to have your words read or your pictures seen by hundreds of thousands of readers and social media followers? More importantly –do ya like having fun? Believe it or not, it’s that time again. Onward State is hiring for the spring semester and we’d […]
If you and your family are entering your last spring semester with a lot less coordination, there are some still some limited but available options for graduation day accommodations.
Send this to a friend