Bill O’Brien Releases Season Opening Depth Chart
Penn State football’s opening week depth chart has been released, but there is still no clear answer as to who will line up under center for the Nittany Lions.
According to the chart, Penn State’s starting quarterback when the Lions travel to MetLife Stadium and take on Syracuse will be, of course, “Tyler Ferguson OR Christian Hackenberg”.
Some fans may remember that O’Brien has done this before with these two quarterbacks. In June, when O’Brien released his post-spring practice depth chart, the QB situation was handled the same way.
This continues to be a frustrating situation for Nittany Lion fans, especially the ones who anticipated that O’Brien would use this as a way to announce a starter. There’s a good chance that O’Brien knows who his guy is but doesn’t want to say anything publicly yet.
Of course, there are things on the depth chart that are noteworthy that don’t involve the team’s starting quarterback. No, seriously. Here are a few:
- The team may not know its starting QB, but run-on D.J. Crook has established himself as the team’s third-string quarterback over Austin Whipple and Jack Seymour.
- At tight end Y/F, star freshman Adam Breneman has moved up to second on the depth chart. The man in front of him, Brent Wilkerson, has been dealing with back issues and had surgery, according to O’Brien. There is no announced timetable for his return.
- At right tackle, where Adam Gress was the starter and Eric Shrive was the backup post-spring, it is listed as “Garry Gilliam OR Adam Gress.” Gilliam is a converted TE who was second at LT post-spring, and Gress has been having issues with his knee.
- Two run-ons, Adam Cole and Charles Idemudia, are listed as backups at outside linebacker. The position also features true freshman Brandon Bell at both OLB positions. Bell is Nyeem Wartman’s backup in one spot and the third-string guy behind Mike Hull and Ben Kline at the other.
- The final “OR” of the depth chart is across from Adrian Amos at safety, where O’Brien lists Malcolm Willis OR Ryan Keiser as the starter.
- Von Walker, a true freshman run-on out of Mine Hill, PA, has worked his way up to 3rd on the depth chart at KR/PR. He sits behind Bill Belton and Akeel Lynch as KR, and Jesse Della Valle and Belton at PR.
The entire depth chart can be found on GoPSUSports.com.
Your ad blocker is on.
Please choose an option below.
Purchase a Subscription!
About the Author
Here’s all the media and miscellaneous information you need to know ahead of Saturday’s game.
State College has plenty of restaurants that always seem too far and too expensive — except when your parents are in town.
Send this to a friend