PSU news by
Penn State's student blog

Topics

About

The Vagina Monologues Return to Schwab Auditorium

Let’s talk about vaginas. Let’s talk about struggles, triumphs, insecurities, empowerment, sisterhood, inequality, abuse, love, and lust that one comes with. Let’s look at ourselves as beautiful, vulnerable, sexual, vessels of love. Let’s talk about life.

IMG_0017

This is what this play is all about, and Friday and Saturday at 7 p.m at Schwab Auditorium, you can experience the roller coaster ride that is “The Vagina Monologues” for yourself.

The Vagina Monologues, created in 1996 by Eve Ensler, is a 90-minute play constructed from a number of different monologues from various women. Topics range from serious to hilarious seamlessly as you follow the many different actors portrayal of what their Vagina, or womanhood itself, means to them.

This year, the show is brought to Penn State by directors Keighlyn Alber, a senior double majoring in science and woman’s studies, and Cassandra LeBar, a senior in psychology minoring in labor studies. They met each other while preforming “The Vagina Monologues” at Penn State Hazleton in their freshman year. They fell in love with the show and said it just snowballed from there.

IMG_3293

“Women come here looking for a healing experience,” says Keighlyn.

Healing and community drive the show as brutal honest, graphic detail, and intimate conversation come together to make people find comfort in who they are. The healing keeps going long after the show as 90 percent of the donations will go to Centre County Women’s resource center, and the other 10 percent will go to 1 Billion Rising, a charity for women who have experienced sexual or domestic abuse.

The all-female cast consists of 30 young women, some of whom are veterans of the show, and others with no previous acting experience at all, although it’s hard to tell which is which because of the amount of passion they all bring to the stage.

Becky Guldian, former director last year and producer of the current show explained how The Vagina Monologues came to be.

“It’s a four-prong effort. UPAC, The Commission for Women, The Center For Women Students, and Triota (the women’s studies honor society) all came together to put this on.”

About the Author

Comments

More by Steven

Behind the Hashtag #WDYDF (Who Do You Dance For?)

In this Instagram Series, The College of Communications Photo Journalism Students asked THON volunteers, “Who Do You Dance For?” In this series we see the parents, children, dancers, and moralers of THON give their respective answers. The result is a powerful thing, and refreshing reminder of the beauty in humanity. Follow Hashtag #WDYDF for more stories

THON’s Obstacle Course Concourse

Superheros Are FTK (Comi-THON)

Athletics

Penn State Women’s Soccer Beats Duquesne 6-0

Emily Ogle, Frankie Tagliaferri, Kerry Abello, Rachel Wasserman, and Kim Dubs scored for the Nittany Lions in Sunday’s lopsided victory.

Shea Moyer Lifts Penn State Women’s Soccer Past West Virginia 1-0

Penn State Women’s Soccer Poised For Strong 2018 Season

Incoming Penn State Track & Field Athlete Kristian Marche Shot To Death In Philadelphia

Former Women’s Gymnastics Coach Files Lawsuit Against Penn State Over Handling Of Abuse Allegations

Student Life

Lisa Salters To Serve As 2018 Homecoming Grand Marshal

The Grand Marshal will be present at many of Homecoming’s events throughout the week and will be featured in the parade Friday night.

Student Body President Cody Heaton Welcomes Class of 2022 At Convocation

Start The Semester Off Right With These Welcome Week Activities

Plans Submitted For New KFC In State College

Developers have submitted preliminary land development plans to build a new KFC restaurant at 1780 S. Atherton St. in State College.

Join Onward State: Fall 2018 Application

Onward State is hiring for the fall semester and we’d love to have you join us.

Penn State Officially Welcomes Class Of 2022 At Convocation

The Class of 2022 joined the Penn State family Saturday evening at Convocation.

Be the first to know

  • Top posts and the best Penn State stories

Thank you for subscribing.

Something went wrong.

Assessing Penn State’s Front Seven Following Tuesday’s Medical Retirements

Penn State’s defensive line rotation will be shaken up following Ryan Buchholz’s medical retirement from football, while the coaching staff is letting the linebackers duel it out during camp.

Send this to a friend