PSU news by
Penn State's student blog

Topics

About

Better Know a Branch Campus: Penn State York

There are 24 campuses in the Penn State system. The one that gets the most attention is University Park, but what about the other 23? That’s where we come in with our newest 23 part series, Better Know a Branch Campus, inspired by Stephen Colbert’s Better Know a District. Next up: Penn State York.

Name: Penn State York, The Fightin’ Yorks!

Chancellor: Dr. David W. Chown

Enrollment: Penn State York is the seventh largest branch campus in the Penn State system, enrolling 1,329 students at its campus.

Location: The campus is nestled in York, PA, and is located approximately 101 miles from Philadelphia, 115 miles from State College, and 225 miles from Pittsburgh. The closest major city is probably Baltimore, 52 miles away.

Sports: Like most other branch campuses, Penn State York competes in the Penn State Universities Athletic Conference. It has five intercollegiate teams: baseball, men’s and women’s basketball, men’s soccer, and women’s volleyball.

Fun Fact: The campus sits on the old site of the Wilson Elementary School. Also, York is home to the York Revolution, an independent league baseball team whose field boasts the highest wall in all of professional baseball.

History: The school opened in 1939, and served as a school that let students complete the basic degree requirements needed to transfer to University Park. It began offering associate degree programs in 1953, then moved to its current location in 1956.

Right Now: The campus employs 63 full-time professors, and like many of the schools in the branch campus system, is a commuter campus. Approximately 90 percent of the school’s students are commuters, while the other 10 percent of students live in off-campus housing. Penn State York offers eight baccalaureate and seven associates degrees, although one of its baccalaureate programs — Bachelor of the Arts in Letters, Arts, and Sciences — isn’t accepting new students at the moment.

Story Time: I didn’t get any stories, but I was asked if I wanted a tour of the campus by a current student. While I must turn the invitation down, thanks for the offer!

Next Time: We’re done with branch campuses, and moving on to other campuses in the Penn State system. First up is the Penn State World Campus. It’ll be hard to send in stories about an online school, but if you have any, feel free to send them my way.

Previous Better Know a Branch Campus features: AbingtonAltoonaBeaverBerksBrandywineDuBoisErieFayetteGreater AlleghenyHarrisburgHazletonLehigh ValleyMont AltoNew KensingtonSchuylkillShenangoWilkes-Barre, Worthington Scranton.

About the Author

Comments

State College Links
More by Bill

Mute Cities Is Not Your Average State College Band

The men of Mute Cities don’t want to be the usual, run-of-the-mill bar band. They have aspirations beyond State College, not wanting to be stuck in the trap of being a band that never gets out of Happy Valley.

Penn State is Awesome, Take Advantage of That: Bill DiFilippo’s Senior Column

Penn State Students Tailgate a Final

Athletics

Big Ten Announces 2018-2019 In-Conference Hoops Matchups

The 2018-2019 season will feature a 20-game in conference schedule for the first time.

From Manager To Walk On: Penn State Softball’s Ashton Mensinger Enjoying Unexpected Opportunity

Penn State Women’s Lacrosse Loses To Maryland 13-8

Penn State Men’s Lacrosse’s Ryan Keenan Selected In MLL Draft

Penn State Baseball Snaps Eleven-Game Losing Streak Against Mount St. Mary’s

Student Life

Indie Pop Band Saint Motel Brings Energetic Act To Penn State

“Move,” “My Type,” and “Getaway” were three of the many crowd favorites Saint Motel brought to the HUB Thursday night.

Creamery ‘Brew And White’ Iced Coffee Now Available

Be A Part Of The 2018 Senior Class Photo Inside Beaver Stadium

Saquon Barkley Shows Some Skin On SI Cover

The NFL Draft begins Thursday, April 26, at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas. Barkley is expected to be a top-five pick, and he and his most vehement supporters say there’s no reason he won’t go No. 1 overall.

Penn State To Go Tobacco-Free Beginning Fall 2018

“The health of our faculty, staff, and students is a top priority for the university, and this is an important step toward providing a safe and clean learning and working environment.”

Dry Weather Expected For Blue-White Weekend

Predicted temperatures in the mid-50s and mostly cloudy skies should make for a pleasant (but more importantly, dry) Blue-White Weekend.

Be the first to know

  • Top posts and the best Penn State stories

Thank you for subscribing.

Something went wrong.

The Worst Places To Propose At Penn State

If you’re planning to propose to your Penn State sweetheart somewhere in Happy Valley, steer clear of these locations.

Be the first to know

  • Top posts and the best Penn State stories

Thank you for subscribing.

Something went wrong.

Send this to a friend